no bigevil. What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance
Deon.
Re: Newbie Question: Scoresets and rules [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 06:24:59PM +0200, Deon de Villiers wrote:
> What are these scoreset and how do you know which one you are using?

RTFM. "perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf", look for "score".

http://wiki.spamassassin.org/w/CustomRulesets

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"Well Courage, it goes to show ya: if someone takes the time to etch
Re: Newbie Question: Scoresets and rules [ In reply to ]
At 11:24 AM 3/10/2004, Deon de Villiers wrote:
>We are already very successfully using SA, but there a few things which
>I am still in the dark about.
>
>I have had a look at the FAQ, but have not been able to find an answer
>to the following:
>
>I read references to scoresets, for example:
>
>"Also note that auto-training occurs using scores from either scoreset 0
>or 1, depending on what scoreset is used during message check."
>
>What are these scoreset and how do you know which one you are using?

There are 4 scoresets, used in the following situations:

0 - used when both bayes and network checks are disabled
1 - used when bayes is disabled, but network checks are enabled
2 - used when there bayes is enabled, but network checks are disabled
3 - used when both bayes and network checks are enabled.

Bayes autolearning always uses 0 or 1 to calculate a score, because
autolearning is done based on the score the message would have if bayes was
disabled. (to prevent bayes self-feedback)

If you need to know which one you are using for sure, you can always run a
message through spamassassin -D and look at the debug output. It will
mention which scoreset it is using.

>The second thing is, I read on the mailing list people referring to, for
>example, bigevil.cf - what is this - I see a bunch of .cf files in
>/usr/share/spamassassin, but nothing like the total number of rules and
>no bigevil. What am I missing here?

bigevil, antidrug, etc are add-on rulesets written by users, and aren't
part of the SA distro. Some are destined to become a part of the standard
distro, but aren't included yet, others are too specialized or require
frequent updates and can't be made a part of the standard distro.

In general these rulesets are handy, but aren't as rigorously tested as the
rules in SA itself.

A list of the add-on rulesets is maintained on the wiki:
http://wiki.spamassassin.org/w/CustomRulesets

There's also some sample test data from mass-check, so you can get some
feel for how prone to false positives the ruleset is.