can't easily do that using RAV.

Thanks very much!

Ken Morley
Re: Recommendations for AV to use with SA??? [ In reply to ]
At 10:13 AM 3/9/2004, Ken Morley wrote:
>I know that I can use RAV as a general Linux anti-virus solution, but I
>was looking for something that would integrate well with SA and
>Sendmail. For example, if a attachment comes in with a virus, I would
>like the attachment stripped and replaced with notice explaining why it
>was stripped, etc.

I use File::Scan and ClamAV, with MIMEDefang integrating both scanners and
SpamAssassin into Sendmail.

The latest version of MD (2.40) will automatically use all virus scanners
it finds on your system, but there've been reports of problems. Version
2.39 is very stable, but the default setup only uses the *first* virus
scanner it finds. Fortunately, it can be easily modified to use more than
one scanner. (And I don't mean in the hack-the-source sense - you can make
the changes in the filter configuration.)

Kelson Vibber
www.hyperborea.org
RE: Recommendations for AV to use with SA??? [ In reply to ]
This looks like a good way to do this. Do you know of a how-to out there
explaining how to get it setup and working?

I am running SpamAssassin 2.63 with Postfix.

Dan

RE: Recommendations for AV to use with SA??? [ In reply to ]
At 10:47 AM 3/9/2004, Dan Spray wrote:
>This looks like a good way to do this. Do you know of a how-to out there
>explaining how to get it setup and working?
>
>I am running SpamAssassin 2.63 with Postfix.

MIMEDefang uses the Milter API, which is (so far) Sendmail-specific. I
think AMaViS and MailScanner both work with Postfix and ClamAV, though.

For those who are using Sendmail and are interested in MIMEDefang, the
following sites should be useful (and I should have listed them in my first
message):
http://www.mimedefang.org/
http://www.rudolphtire.com/mimedefang-howto/

Kelson Vibber
Re: Recommendations for AV to use with SA??? [ In reply to ]
Ken
clamAV is the only one I know of that's free and O/S

you can wrap the SA and clamAV with either MailScanner or AmaVis-new. I
use MailScanner...

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Ken Morley wrote:
> I apologize if this is a little off-topic, but I need some wisdom...
>
> I want to setup a complete anti-spam / anti-virus server to front-end our
> existing Exchange 2000 mail server. The AS/AV server will run RH Enterprise
> Linux ES and SpamAssassin and will use Sendmail to relay filtered mail to
> the Exchange server. But I need a recommendation for an open-source
> anti-virus component. What are the most popular / effective / elegant
> anti-virus products for this type of use?
>
> I know that I can use RAV as a general Linux anti-virus solution, but I was
> looking for something that would integrate well with SA and Sendmail. For
> example, if a attachment comes in with a virus, I would like the attachment
> stripped and replaced with notice explaining why it was stripped, etc. I
> can't easily do that using RAV.
>
> Thanks very much!
>
> Ken Morley

believed to be clean.