--
_____________________________________
John Andersen
Re: Positive Whitelist? [ In reply to ]
At 07:15 PM 3/3/2004, John Andersen wrote:
>I got a mail (from myself) that had a POSITIVE whitelist value of 19
>which caused it to be called spam.
>
>How is this possible and what do I do to adjust that?

Hmm.. can you post an X-Spam-Status so we can see exactly what you mean by
"positive whitelist"?

Do you mean a positive AWL contribution? That's quite possible, as the AWL
isn't a whitelist. It's a "score averaging system which has an effect of
automaticaly white and blacklisting senders based on their past scores"

Did you perchance send yourself some GTUBE emails, and then try to send
normal ones and suddenly find strong positive scores? If so, do a
spamassassin --remove-addr-from-whitelist and wipe out your AWL table.

Theoretically the AWL should ignore GTUBE, but apparently a bug got
introduced and it started including it again. AFAIK it's fixed in the CVS
code, but it's still broken in SA 2.63.
Re: Positive Whitelist? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 03 March 2004 15:27, Matt Kettler wrote:
> At 07:15 PM 3/3/2004, John Andersen wrote:
> >I got a mail (from myself) that had a POSITIVE whitelist value of 19
> >which caused it to be called spam.
> >
> >How is this possible and what do I do to adjust that?
>
> Hmm.. can you post an X-Spam-Status so we can see exactly what you mean by
> "positive whitelist"?
>
> Do you mean a positive AWL contribution? That's quite possible, as the AWL
> isn't a whitelist. It's a "score averaging system which has an effect of
> automaticaly white and blacklisting senders based on their past scores"
>
> Did you perchance send yourself some GTUBE emails, and then try to send
> normal ones and suddenly find strong positive scores? If so, do a
> spamassassin --remove-addr-from-whitelist and wipe out your AWL table.
>
> Theoretically the AWL should ignore GTUBE, but apparently a bug got
> introduced and it started including it again. AFAIK it's fixed in the CVS
> code, but it's still broken in SA 2.63.

Ah, I bet thats EXACTLY whats happening, I did in fact try a gtube a day
or two ago. (And yes its 2.63).

Nasty bug that... Is there a warning on the page that I missed?

Here is what I got...
Content analysis details: (13.6 points, 4.0 required)

pts rule name description
-4.9 BAYES_00 BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
[score: 0.0000]
19 AWL AWL: Auto-whitelist adjustment

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen
Re: Positive Whitelist? [ In reply to ]
At 04:34 PM 3/3/2004, John Andersen wrote:
>On Wednesday 03 March 2004 15:27, Matt Kettler wrote:
> > Theoretically the AWL should ignore GTUBE, but apparently a bug got
> introduced and it started including it again.
>
>Nasty bug that... Is there a warning on the page that I missed?

I don't think so. It came up on the list a few days ago, and I got the
impression it had just been discovered.

Kelson Vibber
Re: Positive Whitelist? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 03 March 2004 16:13, Kelson Vibber wrote:
> At 04:34 PM 3/3/2004, John Andersen wrote:
> >On Wednesday 03 March 2004 15:27, Matt Kettler wrote:
> > > Theoretically the AWL should ignore GTUBE, but apparently a bug got
> >
> > introduced and it started including it again.
> >
> >Nasty bug that... Is there a warning on the page that I missed?
>
> I don't think so. It came up on the list a few days ago, and I got the
> impression it had just been discovered.
>

> Kelson Vibber
> SpeedGate Communications <www.speed.net>

I would think its something they would want to warn people about
or take down the gtube page till its fixed.

It seems to me that it would make a pretty effective DOS to just set my mailer
to report my return address as victom@hisdomain.com and start sending gtube
around to all the victom's family and friends.

He would never be heard from again. ;-)

--
John Andersen