Mailing List Archive

What is up with Charter?
I've not been able to report Abuse to Charter for several months now. When I do, I get this clever response saying:

Spectrum>

This email address is for reporting incidents of abuse coming from IP addresses registered to Charter Communications. Abuse from IP addresses not registered to Charter Communications should be directed to the registered owners of the IP address in question. The following link should be of assistance in locating the organization responsible for the IP address: http://www.arin.net/whois Thank you, Charter High-Speed Internet Security Team

In this case, it was in response to a complaint about Docker probes from 98.152.200.66.

So... what happens when I follow their own advice and ask ARIN who really owns this address? Well, let's see:

% whois 98.152.200.66

#
# ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
# available at: https://www.arin.net/resources/registry/whois/tou/
#
# If you see inaccuracies in the results, please report at
# https://www.arin.net/resources/registry/whois/inaccuracy_reporting/
#
# Copyright 1997-2024, American Registry for Internet Numbers, Ltd.
#

# start

NetRange: 98.144.0.0 - 98.157.255.255
CIDR: 98.156.0.0/15, 98.152.0.0/14, 98.144.0.0/13
NetName: RRWE
NetHandle: NET-98-144-0-0-1
Parent: NET98 (NET-98-0-0-0-0)
NetType: Direct Allocation
OriginAS: Organization: Charter Communications Inc (CC-3517)
RegDate: 2007-12-18
Updated: 2009-12-11
Ref: https://rdap.arin.net/registry/ip/98.144.0.0

OrgName: Charter Communications Inc
OrgId: CC-3517
Address: 6175 S. Willow Dr
City: Greenwood Village
StateProv: CO
PostalCode: 80111
Country: US
RegDate: 2018-10-10
Updated: 2022-09-14
Comment: Legacy Time Warner Cable IP Assets
Ref: https://rdap.arin.net/registry/entity/CC-3517

OrgTechHandle: IPADD1-ARIN
OrgTechName: IPAddressing
OrgTechPhone: +1-866-248-7662 OrgTechEmail: PublicIPAddressing@charter.com
OrgTechRef: https://rdap.arin.net/registry/entity/IPADD1-ARIN

OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE19-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: Abuse
OrgAbusePhone: +1-877-777-2263 OrgAbuseEmail: abuse@charter.net
OrgAbuseRef: https://rdap.arin.net/registry/entity/ABUSE19-ARIN

# end

# start

NetRange: 98.152.200.0 - 98.152.200.127
CIDR: 98.152.200.0/25
NetName: NET-98-152-200-0-1
NetHandle: NET-98-152-200-0-1
Parent: RRWE (NET-98-144-0-0-1)
NetType: Reassigned
OriginAS: Customer: TRANS OCEAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT (C07223789)
RegDate: 2018-10-26
Updated: 2018-10-26
Ref: https://rdap.arin.net/registry/ip/98.152.200.0

CustName: TRANS OCEAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
Address: 140 S STATE COLLEGE BLVD
City: BREA
StateProv: CA
PostalCode: 92821
Country: US
RegDate: 2018-10-26
Updated: 2018-10-26
Ref: https://rdap.arin.net/registry/entity/C07223789

[...]

%

I guess I shouldn't believe my lying eyes...

And of course, there's no way to reach a human being to point out that their autoresponder isn't correctly filtering messages... I tried calling the NOC but they said "that's not our department".

I can send an email with no address at all and still get this fail.
Re: What is up with Charter? [ In reply to ]
TRANS OCEAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT is the owner of yamibuy and I'm pretty sure if you were to pick up the phone and call yamibuy's main office 1-800 407 9710 and get transferred to their IT group you would be able to get someone who cared enough to investigate.

Ted