Mailing List Archive

Building Red Hat Rawhide SA 4.0.0 package for RHEL/CentOS 7
I want to relate my experience in packaging the latest RH RPM for CentOS 7:

I first checked out the package sources from Fedora. This is the spec file
and patches but not the SA tarballs. I already have a regular user for
building packages and have run rpmdev-setuptree to create a packaging
environment. The spec file uses the gpgverify macro so I needed to install
the epel-rpm-macros package. My .rpmacros contains this:

%_topdir %(echo $HOME)/rpmbuild
%dist kp

(I use my initials for the dist tag to remember which packages on my system
are ones I built myself.)

I cd to ~/Download/Fedora and run this:

$ git clone https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/spamassassin.git

I cd into the new working directory and fetch the external sources from the
Apache site that are specified in the Fedora Rawhide spec file:

$ rpmbuild --undefine=_disable_source_fetch --define '_sourcedir .' -ba
spamassassin.spec

Finally, I build the package with this:

$ rpmbuild --define "_sourcedir ${PWD}" -ba spamassassin.spec

My next step will be to tar up my old config from /etc/mail/spamassassin
/etc/sysconfig/spamassassin and then install the new package using "yum
update spamassassin-4.0.0-7kp.x86_64.rpm".
Re: Building Red Hat Rawhide SA 4.0.0 package for RHEL/CentOS 7 [ In reply to ]
After installing the package, I found I needed to manually restart spamd
and also mimedefang with:

# systemctl restart spamassassin
# systemctl restart mimedefang

After that I saw errors from my nightly sa-learn jobs about a missing
HashCash module. I checked for a .rpmnew file in /etc/mail/spamassassin and
found that init.pre needed the edits from the new version of that file
integrated, including removal of the obsolete HashCash module. (I use
etckeeper so "git show" revealed what changed in the config.) I restarted
the two services to pick up those changes.
Re: Building Red Hat Rawhide SA 4.0.0 package for RHEL/CentOS 7 [ In reply to ]
Kenneth Porter skrev den 2023-12-06 00:29:
> After installing the package, I found I needed to manually restart
> spamd and also mimedefang with:
>
> # systemctl restart spamassassin
> # systemctl restart mimedefang
>
> After that I saw errors from my nightly sa-learn jobs about a missing
> HashCash module. I checked for a .rpmnew file in /etc/mail/spamassassin
> and found that init.pre needed the edits from the new version of that
> file integrated, including removal of the obsolete HashCash module. (I
> use etckeeper so "git show" revealed what changed in the config.) I
> restarted the two services to pick up those changes.

mimedefang does not use spamd, you only need either spamassassin only
with spamd or mimedefang with spamassassin not running spamd
Re: Building Red Hat Rawhide SA 4.0.0 package for RHEL/CentOS 7 [ In reply to ]
On 12/5/2023 10:57 PM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
> mimedefang does not use spamd, you only need either spamassassin only
> with spamd or mimedefang with spamassassin not running spamd

It's a small server so I can afford to run SA twice, once at the MTA
level through mimedefang (which can potentially reject egregious spam),
and once during delivery via procmail, which invokes spamc.
Re: Building Red Hat Rawhide SA 4.0.0 package for RHEL/CentOS 7 [ In reply to ]
On 12/6/23 08:25, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> On 12/5/2023 10:57 PM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
>> mimedefang does not use spamd, you only need either spamassassin only with spamd or mimedefang with spamassassin not running spamd
>
> It's a small server so I can afford to run SA twice, once at the MTA level through mimedefang (which can potentially reject egregious spam), and once during delivery via procmail, which invokes spamc.

why ?
If you run SA at the MTA level you shouldn't need to run spamc at all at delivery time.
Spoiler: with next SA and MIMEDefang versions you will be able to use spamd natively.
Giovanni
Re: Building Red Hat Rawhide SA 4.0.0 package for RHEL/CentOS 7 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2023-12-05 at 23:25 -0800, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> On 12/5/2023 10:57 PM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
> > mimedefang does not use spamd, you only need either spamassassin
> > only
> > with spamd or mimedefang with spamassassin not running spamd
>
> It's a small server so I can afford to run SA twice, once at the MTA
> level through mimedefang (which can potentially reject egregious
> spam),
> and once during delivery via procmail, which invokes spamc.

I'm run ing the XFCE spin of Redhat Linux and foundĀ
vmlinuz-6.6.2-101.fc38.x86_64's display handling so flaky that I
replaced it with vmlinuz-6.6.3-100.fc38.x86_64 six days later.

vmlinuz-6.6.3-100.fc38.x86_64 is a huge improvement.

I hopethis is useful feedback.

MCG
Re: Building Red Hat Rawhide SA 4.0.0 package for RHEL/CentOS 7 [ In reply to ]
Kenneth Porter skrev den 2023-12-06 08:25:
> On 12/5/2023 10:57 PM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
>> mimedefang does not use spamd, you only need either spamassassin only
>> with spamd or mimedefang with spamassassin not running spamd
>
> It's a small server so I can afford to run SA twice, once at the MTA
> level through mimedefang (which can potentially reject egregious spam),
> and once during delivery via procmail, which invokes spamc.

by mx.junc.eu (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 1D48780DE5
for <me@junc.eu>; Wed, 6 Dec 2023 08:25:45 +0100 (CET)

can't procmail use X-Spam-Flag ?
Re: Building Red Hat Rawhide SA 4.0.0 package for RHEL/CentOS 7 [ In reply to ]
On 12/6/2023 5:19 AM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
> can't procmail use X-Spam-Flag ?

I think the reason I run it twice is that the mimedefang invocation
doesn't have access to personal Bayes data. When it runs, it's not yet
known what user(s) the mail is destined for.