of my .pre files, or do I have to somehow add that to a scan command-line?

Thanks in advance,

AJ
Re: sane max value for message size in 2023? [ In reply to ]
AJ Weber <aweber@comcast.net> writes:

> I realize this is very much an "it depends", but recently I'm getting
> a lot of messages bypassing spamc because they're a few KB over the
> default, 500KB limit (spamassassin 3.4.x).

That is way way too small now.

I would go to at least 8 MB. $prefix/etc/spamassassin/spamc.conf should
have "-s nnn" where nnn is an integer i bytes.

If you aren't pained by the CPU time, it's better to scan. There is
certainly spam over a MB. If your server is maxed on CPU scanning mail
for a thousand people. that's something else.[q
Re: sane max value for message size in 2023? [ In reply to ]
On 11.09.23 17:15, AJ Weber wrote:
>I realize this is very much an "it depends", but recently I'm getting
>a lot of messages bypassing spamc because they're a few KB over the
>default, 500KB limit (spamassassin 3.4.x).
>
>Can I bump this to maybe 750KB, and if so, will spamc read that from
>one of my .pre files, or do I have to somehow add that to a scan
>command-line?

I bumped mine to maximum size my server can accept, currently 30M.

I checked my spambox for biggest spam recorded (not rejected or lost) and I
have pretty much spam over 1, even 2MB.

Even if amavis or SA limit the size of content for BAYES or RE rules,
scanning bigger messages makes sense, especially if spammers add huge images
to avoid getting checked.

42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Re: sane max value for message size in 2023? [ In reply to ]

On 12.09.23 08:47, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>I bumped mine to maximum size my server can accept, currently 30M.
>
>I checked my spambox for biggest spam recorded (not rejected or lost)
>and I have pretty much spam over 1, even 2MB.

And I have just received 1.2MB spam, with short HTML and PDF attachment.
The HTML content could be enough for BAYES, but luckily we have ExtractText
plugin which can extract text from it tool.

It's now safe to throw off your computer.