related to the date of any deliberate changes on my part.

Small home office system. My skills are a bit stale, so any assistance
is gladly accepted.
Re: spamd config error [ In reply to ]
On 1/2/2023 2:49 PM, joe a wrote:
> Noticed this line in /var/log/mail:
>
> spamd[31188]: config: failed to parse line, skipping, in
> "/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf": Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL
>
> It seems to have started a few weeks ago and does not appear to be
> related to the date of any deliberate changes on my part.
>
> Small home office system. My skills are a bit stale, so any assistance
> is gladly accepted.

It appears to be related to this line in local.cf:

Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL

When I comment that out and restart spamd, the error no longer appears.
It appears OK, but perhaps my eyes are cheated by some spell?
Re: spamd config error [ In reply to ]
On 1/2/2023 4:01 PM, joe a wrote:
> On 1/2/2023 2:49 PM, joe a wrote:
>> Noticed this line in /var/log/mail:
>>
>> spamd[31188]: config: failed to parse line, skipping, in
>> "/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf": Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL
>>
>> It seems to have started a few weeks ago and does not appear to be
>> related to the date of any deliberate changes on my part.
>>
>> Small home office system. My skills are a bit stale, so any assistance
>> is gladly accepted.
>

> It appears to be related to this line in local.cf:
>
> Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL
>
> When I comment that out and restart spamd, the error no longer appears.
>  It appears OK, but perhaps my eyes are cheated by some spell?

Wow. It appears you actually have to state "loadplugin".

A great way to start a new year.
Re: spamd config error [ In reply to ]
On 2023-01-02 at 16:01:34 UTC-0500 (Mon, 2 Jan 2023 16:01:34 -0500)
joe a <joea-lists@j4computers.com>
is rumored to have said:

> On 1/2/2023 2:49 PM, joe a wrote:
>> Noticed this line in /var/log/mail:
>>
>> spamd[31188]: config: failed to parse line, skipping, in
>> "/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf":
>> Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL
>>
>> It seems to have started a few weeks ago and does not appear to be
>> related to the date of any deliberate changes on my part.
>>
>> Small home office system. My skills are a bit stale, so any
>> assistance is gladly accepted.
>

> It appears to be related to this line in local.cf:
>
> Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL

There is no reason for that (the bare name of a Perl module in the
SpamAssassin package) to appear in local.cf. It is conceivable that it
might have not caused a parse error in some contexts to have that alone
on a line (it's a defined Perl identifier, after all) but it is a bit
surprising. Are you sure it didn't start happening after a change to
local.cf?

> When I comment that out and restart spamd, the error no longer
> appears. It appears OK, but perhaps my eyes are cheated by some
> spell?

I can't think of any reason other than an editing error for the bare
name of a Perl module to appear on a line by itself in local.cf or any
other SpamAssassin config file. It SHOULD break parsing.

Whenever you change a SpamAssassin config file, you should run
'spamassassin --lint' to make sure it is parsing correctly.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire
Re: spamd config error [ In reply to ]
On 2023-01-02 at 16:18:53 UTC-0500 (Mon, 2 Jan 2023 16:18:53 -0500)
is rumored to have said:

> On 1/2/2023 4:01 PM, joe a wrote:
>> On 1/2/2023 2:49 PM, joe a wrote:
>>> Noticed this line in /var/log/mail:
>>>
>>> spamd[31188]: config: failed to parse line, skipping, in
>>> "/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf":
>>> Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL
>>>
>>> It seems to have started a few weeks ago and does not appear to be
>>> related to the date of any deliberate changes on my part.
>>>
>>> Small home office system. My skills are a bit stale, so any
>>> assistance is gladly accepted.
>>

>> It appears to be related to this line in local.cf:
>>
>> Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL
>>
>> When I comment that out and restart spamd, the error no longer
>> appears.  It appears OK, but perhaps my eyes are cheated by some
>> spell?
>>

> Wow. It appears you actually have to state "loadplugin".

Yes. As documented. :)

You should not need to load that plugin in local.cf. It is loaded by
default in init.pre.

Re: spamd config error [ In reply to ]
joe a skrev den 2023-01-02 22:18:

> Wow. It appears you actually have to state "loadplugin".
> A great way to start a new year.

and it should in no way be in a cf file, loadplugin belongs to pre files

simple to fix with sed
Re: spamd config error [ In reply to ]
Bill Cole skrev den 2023-01-02 22:22:

> Whenever you change a SpamAssassin config file, you should run
> 'spamassassin --lint' to make sure it is parsing correctly.

loadplugin does --lint even in cf files imho, but it should not

i have not tested yet in sa 4.x.x with this
Re: spamd config error [ In reply to ]
On 1/2/2023 4:27 PM, Bill Cole wrote:
> On 2023-01-02 at 16:18:53 UTC-0500 (Mon, 2 Jan 2023 16:18:53 -0500)
> joe a <joea-lists@j4computers.com>
> is rumored to have said:

>>> It appears to be related to this line in local.cf:
>>>
>>> Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL
>>>
>>> When I comment that out and restart spamd, the error no longer
>>> appears.   It appears OK, but perhaps my eyes are cheated by some spell?
>>>

>> Wow.  It appears you actually have to state "loadplugin".
>
> Yes. As documented. :)
>
> You should not need to load that plugin in local.cf. It is loaded by
> default in init.pre.

Good to know.

I found the docs difficult to follow, initially, and just now, having
not looked at them for a good while. 15 minute retraining window, you
know. Age is a cruel mistress.

Anyway, it is in init.pre as you say and I just confirmed it is not
needed in local.cf.

Not implying any lack of faith you understand <g>.