Mailing List Archive

metholdless URLs bypass DecodeShortURLs link shortner checking
Today I found some spammy messages which contained tinyurl links that were not
checked by my DecodeShortURLs checker.

Checking the tinyurl by hand using wget, I found that the destination was a URL
that hit some of my URIBL lists.

The issue is that if the method is omitted from the url it is not considered for
DecodeShortURLs checking.

EG: <a href=3D"tinyurl.com/REDACTED"><B>Click here</B></a> does not get checked
but <a href=3D"http://tinyurl.com/REDACTED"><B>Click here</B></a> does get
checked.
This happens with SA 3.4.6

Note that this is specific to DecodeShortURLs, a methodless URL is still checked
via direct URIBL rules.

Is this an issue with the DecodeShortURLs plugin or with SA?

Where would I find the most recent version of DecodeShortURLs plugin?

Thanks,
Dave

--
Dave Funk University of Iowa
<dbfunk (at) engineering.uiowa.edu> College of Engineering
Re: metholdless URLs bypass DecodeShortURLs link shortner checking [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 02:43:01AM -0500, Dave Funk wrote:

> Where would I find the most recent version of DecodeShortURLs plugin?

It is now maintained by SA project and included in 4.0 release. Best to
wait for that or try the current trunk/4.0.0-rc1.
Re: metholdless URLs bypass DecodeShortURLs link shortner checking [ In reply to ]
If you can try the current RC-1 and report if the issue still exists and
open a bugzilla report ASAP that would be great too. We are working hard
on a last handful of items for a 4.0 release. -KAM
--
Kevin A. McGrail
Member, Apache Software Foundation