While it seems feasible to do this in postfix, I wanted to explore doing it with minimal fuss in SAm or if a FILTER or MILTER might be required.

So far I've only found "Basic Message Tagging Options".

joe a.
Re: Add header, not beginning with X? [ In reply to ]
"joea- lists" <joea-lists@j4computers.com> writes:

> Nutshell: I want to add "Reply-to: (some address)" to messages without same.

Please do explain why. It sounds like a clear standards violation
because Reply-To may only be set by the sender.

> While it seems feasible to do this in postfix, I wanted to explore
> doing it with minimal fuss in SAm or if a FILTER or MILTER might be
> required.
>
> So far I've only found "Basic Message Tagging Options".

What you are wanting to do does not seem related to spamassassin's
mission, so I think it is probably best to avoid trying to make
spamassassin doin git.
Re: Add header, not beginning with X? [ In reply to ]
On 2022-02-14 at 12:31:18 UTC-0500 (Mon, 14 Feb 2022 12:31:18 -0500)
is rumored to have said:

> Nutshell: I want to add "Reply-to: (some address)" to messages without
> same.
>
> While it seems feasible to do this in postfix, I wanted to explore
> doing it with minimal fuss in SAm or if a FILTER or MILTER might be
> required.
>
> So far I've only found "Basic Message Tagging Options".

Because that is all there is to find. Adding headers unrelated to spam
filtering is many miles out of scope for SA.

If you're comfortable with Perl, MIMEDefang or MailMunge could provide a
platform for a solution. As a bonus, they both support SA as well.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire
Re: Add header, not beginning with X? [ In reply to ]

> "joea? lists" <joea?lists@j4computers.com> writes:
>
>> Nutshell: I want to add "Reply?to: (some address)" to messages
without same.

> Please do explain why. It sounds like a clear standards violation
> because Reply?To may only be set by the sender.
>
>> While it seems feasible to do this in postfix, I wanted to explore
>> doing it with minimal fuss in SAm or if a FILTER or MILTER might be
>> required.
>>
>> So far I've only found "Basic Message Tagging Options".
>
> What you are wanting to do does not seem related to spamassassin's
> mission, so I think it is probably best to avoid trying to make
> spamassassin doin git.

The reason has to do with "reply" and "reply to all" with the email
client/system I am using and prefer to continue using for now.

Being subscribed to several lists, I find some variation between them
regarding the headers they provide and how my "reply" feature works.

Those that provide "Reply-to: somelist" act as expected and place the
list address in the To: field. Those that do not
(users@spamassassin.apache.org included) find the address of the
poster rather than the list in the To: field.

While this is not a new issue, I do occasionally fail to correct the
address issue and an email goes astray. '

I'm aware that "modern" clients can deal with this and there are more
"practical" solutions, but I view this as an opportunity for "exercise"
and perverse amusement.

Does not appear to be something that can or should be done in SA, just
exploring possible avenues, or, abandoning the idea completely.

joe a.
Re: Add header, not beginning with X? [ In reply to ]

> On 2022?02?14 at 12:31:18 UTC?0500 (Mon, 14 Feb 2022 12:31:18 ?0500)
> joea? lists <joea?lists@j4computers.com>
> is rumored to have said:
>
>> Nutshell: I want to add "Reply?to: (some address)" to messages
without
>> same.
>>
>> While it seems feasible to do this in postfix, I wanted to explore
>> doing it with minimal fuss in SAm or if a FILTER or MILTER might be

>> required.
>>
>> So far I've only found "Basic Message Tagging Options".
>
> Because that is all there is to find. Adding headers unrelated to
spam
> filtering is many miles out of scope for SA.

No wonder I'm lost.

> If you're comfortable with Perl, MIMEDefang or MailMunge could
provide a
> platform for a solution. As a bonus, they both support SA as well.

Thanks. Should provide me hours of entertainment and "exercise".

Re: Add header, not beginning with X? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 14 Feb 2022, joea- lists wrote:

> The reason has to do with "reply" and "reply to all" with the email
> client/system I am using and prefer to continue using for now.
>
> Being subscribed to several lists, I find some variation between them
> regarding the headers they provide and how my "reply" feature works.
>
> Those that provide "Reply-to: somelist" act as expected and place the
> list address in the To: field. Those that do not
> (users@spamassassin.apache.org included) find the address of the
> poster rather than the list in the To: field.
>
> While this is not a new issue, I do occasionally fail to correct the
> address issue and an email goes astray. '
>
> I'm aware that "modern" clients can deal with this and there are more
> "practical" solutions, but I view this as an opportunity for "exercise"
> and perverse amusement.
>
> Does not appear to be something that can or should be done in SA, just
> exploring possible avenues, or, abandoning the idea completely.

If you want this done for everybody on the system then modifying your MTA is the
way to go (EG: at the postfix/sendmail level).
If you just want to do it just for your own messages then some kind of custom
delivery filter (EG procmail) would be the way to go.

--
Dave Funk University of Iowa
<dbfunk (at) engineering.uiowa.edu> College of Engineering
Re: Add header, not beginning with X? [ In reply to ]
* joea:

> Nutshell: I want to add "Reply-to: (some address)" to messages without
> same.

Assuming you are the message sender, that's a task best left to your
MUA. I don't known if GroupWise can do it, though. Beyond that, using
Postfix is a better option for adding custom headers than trying to get
SA to do it.

-Ralph
Re: Add header, not beginning with X? [ In reply to ]
On 2/14/22 1:18 PM, joea- lists wrote:
> The reason has to do with "reply" and "reply to all" with the email
> client/system I am using and prefer to continue using for now.

To each their own.

> Being subscribed to several lists, I find some variation between them
> regarding the headers they provide and how my "reply" feature works.

I've noticed similar.

> Those that provide "Reply-to: somelist" act as expected and
> place the list address in the To: field. Those that do not
> (users@spamassassin.apache.org included) find the address of the
> poster rather than the list in the To: field.

Ya.

> While this is not a new issue, I do occasionally fail to correct the
> address issue and an email goes astray. '

Been there. Done that.

> I'm aware that "modern" clients can deal with this and there are more
> "practical" solutions, but I view this as an opportunity for "exercise"
> and perverse amusement.

I understand /why/ you might think that.

> Does not appear to be something that can or should be done in SA,
> just exploring possible avenues, or, abandoning the idea completely.

However, I believe what you are wanting to do is outside of
SpamAssassin's (et al.) preview. Rather I think this is better done
with something like procmail + formail. SpamAssassin tends to be system
wide while procmail + formail tends to be per-user. And I suspect that
what you're wanting to do definitely falls under the per-user end of
that category.

I have implemented some procmail + formail rules to do very similar to
what you are wanting to do. One big difference is that I /usually/
*add* a List-Post: header and leverage my MUA's Reply to List
functionality. That way I am able to do a normal reply or reply to all
and have the message go where the original author and / or mailing list
administrator intended for it to go. I say usually because I do use the
same procmail + formail functionality to alter additional things in some
very specific situations. But all of this only applies to my user and
definitely not system wide.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Re: Add header, not beginning with X? [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On 14.02.22 12:31, joea- lists wrote:
>Nutshell: I want to add "Reply-to: (some address)" to messages without same.
>
>While it seems feasible to do this in postfix, I wanted to explore doing it with minimal fuss in SAm or if a FILTER or MILTER might be required.
>
>So far I've only found "Basic Message Tagging Options".

this is not a job for SpamAssassin.

Perhaps a milter application could do that - there are milter interfaces for
per, python, so you can make one.

or perhaps other filter like amavis or mimedefang could add it, but I guess
it requires as much coding as with the solution above.

RE: Add header, not beginning with X? [ In reply to ]

> >While it seems feasible to do this in postfix, I wanted to explore doing
> it with minimal fuss in SAm or if a FILTER or MILTER might be required.
> >
> >So far I've only found "Basic Message Tagging Options".
>
> this is not a job for SpamAssassin.
>
> Perhaps a milter application could do that - there are milter interfaces
> for
> per, python, so you can make one.

Indeed, only one line in mailfromd (once you have mailfromd you will start using it for a lot more ;))

header_add ("X-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX", "whitelisted $client_addr in whitelist.xxxxxx.xxx.x" )