Mailing List Archive

RE SA Install
Thank you so much
I now have somthing to follow.
Ed

PS your right getting it to work without understanding
the settings would be trouble I will really read up
before I proceed any further thanks again.

> Is the qmail patch hard to do? I am really new at
this
> [...]

Step-by-step instructions here:
http://sylvestre.ledru.info/howto/howto_qmail_spamassassin.php
(Google is your friend)

You should be able to start with the
'With qmail-scanner'
Section if everything is working OK up to this point.
(if
'/etc/init.d/spamassassin start' doesn't work, start
over at the
beginning of the web page). Just make sure you _read_
and _understand_
what you are doing.

> Once I get this installed sa should start working
> right? can't wait

The short answer is yes, BUT you should still take
some time to educate
yourself about how SpamAssassin works. You are
assuming that
everything
is just going to "work" but SpamAssassin is made to
fit into several
different scenarios for scanning. The one you are
trying to set up
works like this:

Mail flow:
Qmail-smtpd -> Qmail-Scanner -> SpamAssassin

If you don't understand what Qmail-Scanner wants from
SpamAssassin, you
won't be able to get Qmail-Scanner setup properly, and
then the system
won't work.

Read about SpamAssassin. Read about Qmail-Scanner
(especially the FAQ).
Don't just skim.

Todd