Mailing List Archive

Blacklisting a stubborn sender
Two well known companies in my country persist in making the mistake of writing their mid with a non-public fqdn, violating the rfc. It has been so for the past three years, with me sending detailed, manually written error messages to their painstakingly collected admin addresses. Their answer is that everybody else accepts their invalid mid, and their servers are enterprise ibm / microsoft shitware that they are unwilling to fix. Since we get a lot of their emails, I decided to scale up their problem. There are many blacklists, and I have no intention to go through each idiosyncratic procedure.

Is there an ombusdman that superintends the major blacklists and enforces rfc compliance through them?
Re: Blacklisting a stubborn sender [ In reply to ]
* Rupert Gallagher:

> Two well known companies in my country persist in making the mistake
> of writing their mid with a non-public fqdn, violating the rfc. [...]
> been so for the past three years, with me sending detailed, manually
> Their answer is that everybody else accepts their invalid mid, and
> their servers are enterprise ibm / microsoft shitware that they are
> unwilling to fix.

RFC 2822 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2822#section-3.6.4) does not
state that a "public fqdn" (or any FQDN) is required in the message ID.
Formally, the id-right portion can be any dot-atom-text. Also, the
Message-ID header itself is optional, although recommended.

In other words, you are the stubborn one, and wrong to boot. ;-)

-Ralph
Re: Blacklisting a stubborn sender [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 8:59 AM Rupert Gallagher <ruga@protonmail.com> wrote:

> Two well known companies in my country persist in making the mistake of
> writing their mid with a non-public fqdn, violating the rfc. It has been so
> for the past three years, with me sending detailed, manually written error
> messages to their painstakingly collected admin addresses. Their answer is
> that everybody else accepts their invalid mid, and their servers are
> enterprise ibm / microsoft shitware that they are unwilling to fix. Since
> we get a lot of their emails, I decided to scale up their problem. There
> are many blacklists, and I have no intention to go through each
> idiosyncratic procedure.
>
> Is there an ombusdman that superintends the major blacklists and enforces
> rfc compliance through them?

First, I use Chris Santerre's definition of Spam that spam is about not
having consent rather than the content. If someone sends something with
RFC issues to evade spam detection, that demonstrates a lack of consent and
clear intent. But if it's something with consent, as long as the email can
get from point A to point B, bending the RFCs is fine. I'd equate it to a
kid addressing an envelope to his Granny in crayon, forgetting the zip code
and put the stamp on the wrong corner. The post office can figure it out
automatically and it gets where it's meant to go. By comparison, the big
bad Wolf trying to contact Granny from his jail cell would be spam. The
RFC compliance might be an indicator for me but not a reason to block but
that's my take. If you want to share a sample on pastebin, I can give you
my take on it using the content vs consent litmus test for rules/blocking.

Second, I'm not aware of any ombudsman for RBLs. Many RBLs are run by
distinct organizations and many have unique listing/delisting criteria. An
ombudsman would basically be a consultant spending a lot of time on the
issue so you might just go that route and hire someone.

Finally, there are RBLs you might want to use. There used to be RFC
Ignorant but it appears to be shuttered. Take a look at
http://rfc-clueless.org/

Also if they use the same domain, just locally block it.

Regards,
KAM

Re: Blacklisting a stubborn sender [ In reply to ]
* Rupert Gallagher:

> They have explicit consent to send rfc compliant e-mail.

"They" are not violating RFC 2822 with their message IDs, as I already
explained in message <87eeoqfpel.fsf@wedjat.horus-it.com>.

> Rfc-clueless.org seems.a good starting point.

You are the one who misunderstands the relevant section of RFC 2822.
Why would you want to report that to an even wider audience?

-Ralph
Re: Blacklisting a stubborn sender [ In reply to ]
On 1 Aug 2020, at 8:58, Rupert Gallagher wrote:

> Two well known companies in my country persist in making the mistake
> of writing their mid with a non-public fqdn, violating the rfc.

As Ralph says, that is not a violation of any RFC. There is no "MUST"
condition in 5322 or its 2 most recent predecessors referencing the use
of or resolvability of a domain in the RHS of a Message-ID. A domain is
RECOMMENDED, but there's no mention of its public resolvability

> It has been so for the past three years, with me sending detailed,
> manually written error messages to their painstakingly collected admin
> addresses. Their answer is that everybody else accepts their invalid
> mid, and their servers are enterprise ibm / microsoft shitware that
> they are unwilling to fix. Since we get a lot of their emails, I
> decided to scale up their problem. There are many blacklists, and I
> have no intention to go through each idiosyncratic procedure.
>
> Is there an ombusdman that superintends the major blacklists and
> enforces rfc compliance through them?

Of course there isn't. If there was someone who could tell DNSBL
operators what addresses to list or not list, there wouldn't be hundreds
of independent DNSBLs.

Also, the idea that RFC compliance is something that can or should be
"enforced" is entirely inconsistent with the basic principles of what
RFCs are. They are documentation, not law.

--
Bill Cole
Not For Hire (currently)
Re: Blacklisting a stubborn sender [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 18:48:04 +0200
Ralph Seichter wrote:

> * Rupert Gallagher:
>
> > They have explicit consent to send rfc compliant e-mail.
>
> "They" are not violating RFC 2822 with their message IDs, as I already
> explained in message <87eeoqfpel.fsf@wedjat.horus-it.com>.
>
> > Rfc-clueless.org seems.a good starting point.
>
> You are the one who misunderstands the relevant section of RFC 2822.
> Why would you want to report that to an even wider audience?

Not for the first time either:

https://readlist.com/lists/incubator.apache.org/spamassassin-users/20/101951.html
Re: Blacklisting a stubborn sender [ In reply to ]
Correction: it is not the mid, it is the helo.