Mailing List Archive

architectural question(?)
Greetings
I've just joined the list and, maybe, the question has been already
answered (even if I have found no such tread in the wiki etc...).
Well, I wish to setup a mail server with postfix (o.s. Trustix) and another
box (Trustix too) which have to be the "mail scanner" both for spam and virii.
Obviously, the spam scanner should be SpamAssassin in the spamc/spamd
configuration while the anti-virus shall be F-Secure (that's what I have in
my Centre and it works like a charm both on servers - Win and Linux - and
on clients - win and linux! ). The "glue" shall be amavis-new.
Currently I have a similar configuration where the scan-box has amavis-new
and the Perl version of spamassassin but, while it works fine, is going to
be very overloaded, due to the traffic growing. And I wish to start to use
the "bayesian" feature to unload myself ;-)
In the current configuration, postfix speaks via a tcp port with amavisd -
running on the other box - and this one, using its rules, calls the
f-secure AV and the Perl-SA. After the scan, the eventually modified
message - ***SPAM*** - is sent back to postfix to be delivered to the
user(s). (If it contains a virus, the message is quarantined and just a
notification is sent to the final user).
OK, sorry for the long description about something that's clear to many but....
Well, the question, at last: using the two-boxes configuration, is it
possible to arrange postfix, amavis and sa to works together? I wish to
avoid to use mail "filters"/"pipes" and keep everithing in
postfix/amavis/sa "central" configuration files...In other words: put away
the perl sa and substitute it with spamc/spamd without changing anything
else ;-)
Thank you for your answer and forgive me for my long long mail
Peace

----------
Gennaro Esposito
(System & Security Engineer)
Via E. Gianturco,31 * YES! I SUPPORT *
I-80146 - Napoli - ITALY * *
ph.: +39 081-6042 493 * _/_/ _ _/_/ *
fax...: +39 081-6042 100 * _/_/===x===_/_/ *
mailto:esposito@marscenter.it * _/_/ _/_/ *
http://www.marscenter.it * *
ftp://ftp.marscenter.it *International Space Station*