Mailing List Archive

Headers
After checking some things, I've noticed what the problem is. When
SpamAssassin flags the message as spam it trashes that old message and
recreates a new one with the report on the front, the spam attached, etc.
And brand new set of headers. what is lost is all of the custom X-type
headers and group headers, etc. In addition I can't take a look at a FP
and see what recieveds, etc it had on it to track down SORBS and other
Blacklist hits, all that info is lost in the recreation of the headers.

I would like to suggest that when SA recreates the new positive spam
email, it keeps all custom headers (non-RFC) like List-ID, anything with
an X, etc. Or possibly prepend it with Orig- prefix or something. This
will allow me to filter my mailling lists to my mailling lists folders
before it hits trashes into my spam folder on a false positive.

the other thing I would like to suggest is that the original headers be
available in a non-modified state. Either appended to the original
message or prepended as long as the snippet part of the report email is
smart enough to skip the headers. I think prepended would be preferrable.
Or if it is more easily implemented, add the original headers as a
seperate Test/Plain section or addtional attachment. this would allows
us to better track down and adjust for false positives.

Bryan Britt
Beltane Web Services

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ICQ: 53037451
Bryan L. Britt 501-327-8558

Re: Headers [ In reply to ]
Bryan Britt said:

> I would like to suggest that when SA recreates the new positive spam
> email, it keeps all custom headers (non-RFC) like List-ID, anything with
> an X, etc. Or possibly prepend it with Orig- prefix or something. This
> will allow me to filter my mailling lists to my mailling lists folders
> before it hits trashes into my spam folder on a false positive.

report_safe_copy_headers header_name ...

HTH

--
Chris Thielen

Easily generate SpamAssassin rules to catch obfuscated spam phrases
(0BFU$C/\TED SPA/\/\ P|-|RA$ES):
http://www.sandgnat.com/cmos/
Re: Headers [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 09:55, Chris Thielen wrote:
> Bryan Britt said:
>

> > I would like to suggest that when SA recreates the new positive spam
> > email, it keeps all custom headers (non-RFC) like List-ID, anything with
> > an X, etc. Or possibly prepend it with Orig- prefix or something. This
> > will allow me to filter my mailling lists to my mailling lists folders
> > before it hits trashes into my spam folder on a false positive.
>
> report_safe_copy_headers header_name ...

Yes, but you have to know the header names ahead of time.

How about "report_safe_copy_headers *"? Does that work? Is there an
equivalent?

--
John Hardin KA7OHZ
Internal Systems Administrator/Guru voice: (425) 672-1304
Re: Headers [ In reply to ]
Hmmm. ok. Is this a stiuation of my mail client arguing with
SpamAssassin?

When I set it as "report_safe 1" which is what I had it on and default
installation, I could see the original message in it's Plain/Text and
Plain/HTML sections (My client tabs the sections, so I have the
Plain/Text SA report as one tab, the original 1-2 tabs for text and HTML
portions of the original message, and another tab for the message
Headers). In this setting the headers are not showing in either Text or
HTML portions of the message. Is SA sticking them in and my client
trying to remove them?

Can anyone confirm that the original headers are there in the default
setting?

When I set "report_safe 2" I get the complete message, including headers
as Plain/Text. But this strips my ability to see the original message
in Text and HTML and HTML source versions.

Bryan Britt
Beltane Web Services

Re: Headers [ In reply to ]
ok. I've confirmed it. it's the handling of the Message/RFC822 MIME
type. I'll forward it to my email client's developer to work on the
issue. In 6 years of using a my Non-Outlook email, I finally found an
incorrect feature.

Bryan Britt
Beltane Web Services