Mailing List Archive

Problems finding MIME::Parser
Hi there,

I am trying to interface SpamAssassin with Postfix ! In my endeavors I
stumbled upon amavisd.

I am now trying to configure and run it. After I installed /all/ the
required dependencies it fails to see MIME::Parser.

OS: Debian Linux 2.4.18-bf2.4

Mail-SpamAssassin-2.63

Postfix 1.1.11.0-3sher

Amavisd-new-20030616-p7

Symptoms:

nova:/home/hennie/src# /usr/local/sbin/amavisd debug
ERROR: MISSING REQUIRED BASIC MODULES:
MIME::Parser
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/sbin/amavisd line 123.

I have installed
http://www.mimedefang.org/static/MIME-tools-5.411a-RP-Patched-02.tar.gz

And then I treid the latest release on CPAN. No luck !

find shows:

nova:~# find /usr/ -name "MIME-tools" -print

/usr/lib/perl/5.6.1/auto/MIME-tools

Can anyone proivide me with pointers ?

Thanks very much !

Hennie

Hennie Rautenbach Work: http://www.sabinet.co.za
082-556-1191 Play: http://www.overland.co.za

Always drink upstream from the herd... -- anonymous

delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this e-mail are the
opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by Sabinet Online
Limited unless expressly stated otherwise.
Re: Problems finding MIME::Parser [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:08:05 +0200 Hennie Rautenbach
<hennie@sabinet.co.za> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to interface SpamAssassin with Postfix ! In my endeavors I
> stumbled upon amavisd.
>
> I am now trying to configure and run it. After I installed /all/ the
> required dependencies it fails to see MIME::Parser.

Which perl interpreter does amavisd use? Check the first line of the file:

$ head /usr/local/src/amavisd-new-20030616/amavisd
#!/usr/bin/perl -T

# This is amavisd-new.
# It is a high-performance interface between message transfer agent (MTA)
# and virus scanners and/or spam scanners.
#
# It is a performance-enhanced and feature-enriched version of amavisd
# (which in turn is a daemonized version of AMaViS), initially based
# on amavisd-snapshot-20020300).

So in my case, amavisd uses /usr/bin/perl.

Now check if /usr/bin/perl can load MIME::Parser with:

$ /usr/bin/perl -MMIME::Parser -e 'print $MIME::Parser::VERSION, "\n";

which should respond with something like:

5.406

If this command throws an error, MIME::Parser is not properly installed
for that perl interpreter (note that there may be more than one) and you
need to reinstall MIME::Parser using /usr/bin/perl or whatever
interpreter amavisd is using.

> find shows:
>
> nova:~# find /usr/ -name "MIME-tools" -print
>
> /usr/lib/perl/5.6.1/auto/MIME-tools

find won't help you much; it only shows if the files exist, not if they
actually work with the perl interpreter used to call amavisd.

hth,

-- Bob