Mailing List Archive

RT 4.2.11rc1 released
RT 4.2.11rc1 -- 2015-04-23
--------------------------

RT 4.2.11rc1 is now available for testing.

https://download.bestpractical.com/pub/rt/devel/rt-4.2.11rc1.tar.gz
https://download.bestpractical.com/pub/rt/devel/rt-4.2.11rc1.tar.gz.asc

SHA1 sums

69ad2c1447f2bfef71884f4406890b0e1fd289a6 rt-4.2.11rc1.tar.gz
fb3c36faecf07fc7bc8cbaf1bf7858f1606b4504 rt-4.2.11rc1.tar.gz.asc

This release is a bugfix release; most notably, it improves indexing
time for full-text search, as well as improving support for Apache 2.4
and MySQL 5.5. Interactive command-line tools (including upgrade tools)
will now also default to displaying warnings to STDERR, to aid in
awareness of potential errors.

The complete list of changes includes:

General user UI
* If storing a transaction failed, note the failure obviously in the
ticket history (#30419)
* Make sub-menus accessible on screen-readers
* Prevent Dashboard portlet from rendering with too many columns
* Hint that a transaction is Correspondence, using red background, on
Jumbo and Bulk Update pages as well.
* Articles distinction between "no classes exist" and "none visible to
user" (#30638)
* Skip Articles Class selection page if there is only one valid option
(#29975)
* For consistency with other roles, don't attempt to send email
notifications to owners that are disabled
* Improve search performance when searching custom field values on
users
* Allow ModifyTicket to change nobody -> someone else, without
OwnTicket
* Respect the user's chosen units for Time Worked across page loads,
instead of always defaulting to minutes. (#17985)
* In Jumbo, preserve ticket basics so in progress changes persist after
returning to the page
* Make elements styled as .button render the same as other buttons
* Add print styles for button and .button that match other inputs

Command-line
* Default to enabling error warnings to the screen for interactive
commands
* Standardize --help, --quiet and --verbose options across tools
* Allow GSSAPI authentication with bin/rt (#25074)

Web Administration
* Don't show rights on role groups rights list which are nonsensical
(#30556)
* Support setting multiply-valued custom fields during REST ticket
creation
* Fix an infinite loop in multiple-valued custom field parsing
* Recover gracefully on template creation failure (#29021)
* Provide a user-legible representation of the user's GPG key (#25376)
* Ability to change back to "role" UsernameFormat
* Consistently store un-encoded header data for forwards (#29714)

Server Administration
* Improve full-text indexing by 1-2 orders of magnitude, on both
PostgreSQL and MySQL.
* Warn if innodb_log_file_size would limit uploads to < 5M on MySQL
5.5 and later
* Increase the warn threshold on max_allowed_packet to 5M
* Validate lifecycle right name length
* For convenience, allow using the distribution name instead of package
name in Plugin(); for example: Plugin('RT-Extension-SLA')
* Suggest explicit binlog_path for sphinx >= 1.10
* Drop DatabaseRequireSSL option that does nothing; replace with
DatabaseExtraDSN option to allow passing of arbitrary additional
database parameters to the database interface
* Respect configure-time FontPath configuration
* Configurable transaction suppression for EscalatePriority (#29465)
* Switch from Oracle DBA-only tables to tables the user can inspect
(#30393)
* Properly handle large IN sql arguments by breaking them up in to
separate statements

Developer
* Deprecate unused RT::Interface::CLI::debug sub
* Standardize and simplify boilerplate for command-line options
* Make rt-validator infinite loop checker actually work
* Add 'mbox' option to $MailCommand which writes mbox-formatted output
* Allow attributes to be set after object creation in initialdata
files (#13036)
* Do not set charset and body on multipart messages in ContentAsMIME
(#23671)
* Look harder for content in message/rfc822 parts
* Allow creation of multipart/related via REST, by providing
Content-IDs
* Fold RT::Shredder code into core record classes
* Skip Shredder tests on all non-SQLite databases
* Built in HTTP Basic auth and htpasswd support in rt-apache tool
* New callbacks for Ticket/Elements/ShowBasics, AfterTimeEstimated and
AfterTimeWorked
* Use %ARGS values in /Admin/Users/Modify.html to allow callbacks to
modify them (#27655)
* Allow passing SquelchMailTo to Ticket->Create
* Explicitly depend on Class::Accessor::Fast not Class::Accessor
* Add BodyClass parameter to Elements/Header so callbacks can more
easily style only their own pages.

Documentation
* Extend the documentation to support Apache 2.4 deployment
* Attempt to improve reliability in lighttpd by suggesting sockets
instead of TCP connection
* Information on finding and installing plugins
* Information on the new rights interface in the UPGRADING doc (#29515)

Internationalization
* Localize EmailFrequency properties
* Updated localizations (German, Spanish, French, Icelandic, Italian,
Japanese, Lithuanian, Russian, Swedish, Traditional Chinese)

A complete changelog is available from git by running:
git log rt-4.2.10..rt-4.2.11rc1
or visiting
https://github.com/bestpractical/rt/compare/rt-4.2.10...rt-4.2.11rc1
Re: RT 4.2.11rc1 released [ In reply to ]
Hi,

the database upgrade step errors out with the following message:
ERROR: One of initial functions failed: Can't call method "Subject" on
an undefined value at ./etc/upgrade/4.2.11/content line 49, <$handle>
line 1.

The problem is a missing check if actually a attachment object was
loaded at [1].
A simple
next unless $att;
fixes this for me.

I have found some Forward transaction which don't have a attachment
object. It seams, without digging deeper into this, these transactions
where created with RT 4.0.

Chris

[1]
https://github.com/bestpractical/rt/blob/stable/etc/upgrade/4.2.11/content#L46
Re: RT 4.2.11rc1 released [ In reply to ]
Hi Christian

I created 4.2/zero-attachments-in-forward-txns to fix this, which will be included in the future release.

Thanks for reporting this.

Regards
sunnavy

Re: RT 4.2.11rc1 released [ In reply to ]
Thanks!

I just checked this an a vanilla RT 4.0.23 instance and it's RT 4.0
default behavior to just create a Forward transaction without any
attachments [1].

RT 4.2 started to create Forward transactions with attachments [2].

Chris

[1]
https://github.com/bestpractical/rt/blob/4.0-trunk/lib/RT/Interface/Email.pm#L659-663
[2] https://github.com/bestpractical/rt/commit/a1a4f73

Re: RT 4.2.11rc1 released [ In reply to ]
On 4/27/15 12:38 PM, Christian Loos wrote:
> I just checked this an a vanilla RT 4.0.23 instance and it's RT 4.0
> default behavior to just create a Forward transaction without any
> attachments [1].
>
> RT 4.2 started to create Forward transactions with attachments [2].

Hi Cloos, this is indeed the case.

Thanks for calling this out. 4.2.11rc2 has been released with your
suggested fix.

Regards,