Mailing List Archive

Suggestion for Documentation Reconstructure
Hi List,

I consulted with my colleagues about the smartest way to reconstruct
the documents of rsyslog.

1.Work Flow matter
The attached image is just an idea for rational flowchart to make
translation easier.
#If this ML forbids me to attach any files, you can see it on my site.
http://rio.tc/2008/07/10-144007.php

I'm worried that this flow will give the contributers much trouble.

- HTML(from Wiki) to DocBook conversion
'tidy' will help us a little, but exporter of media Wiki is poor to
export 'well-formed HTML'.
We need to edit and check them manually.
Of course, I willingly do this. But it may take a number of days.

- Writers need to edit DocBook XML after the reconstruction.
As you know, HTML format is not good for a source of multi-output.
DocBook XML is a perfect one except for edit :)

- Automake related matter
There can be two streams to generate man and html from DocBook XML.
One : When you edit DocBook, you commit DocBook, HTML and man files
to git tree.
Of course this method requires us to prepare an
environment where you can use xsltproc/docbook2man.
Two : By adding some sequences into Makefile, HTML and man files
can be generated automatically.
All persons who want to build rsyslog from tar ball need
to prepare the environment.
And we need to put some check routines for dependencies
into Makefile.

2.git tree reconstruct only with 'doc' directory

`-- doc
|-- Makefile.am
|-- conf
| |-- en
| | `-- rsyslog-example.conf
| |-- OTHER_LANGUAGES(iso code)
| `-- jp
| `-- rsyslog-example.conf # annotations are translated.
|-- html
| |-- en
| | |-- bugs.html
| | |-- OTHER_HTMLS
| | `-- version_naming.html
| |-- OTHER_LANGUAGES(iso code)
| `-- jp
| |-- bugs.html
| |-- OTHER_HTMLS
| `-- version_naming.html
|-- images
| |-- gssapi.png
| |-- OTHER_IMAGES
| `-- tls_cert_ca.jpg
|-- man
| |-- en
| | |-- man5
| | | `-- rsyslog.conf.5
| | `-- man8
| | `-- rsyslogd.8
| |-- OTHER_LANGUAGES(iso code)
| `-- jp
| |-- man5
| | `-- rsyslog.conf.5
| `-- man8
| `-- rsyslogd.8
`-- src
|-- dias
| |-- classes.dia
| |-- OTHER_DIA_FILES
| `-- tls_cert_ca.dia
`-- docbook
|-- en
| |-- bugs.xml
| |-- rsyslog.conf.5.xml
| |-- rsyslogd.8.xml
| |-- OTHER_XMLS
| `-- version_naming.xml
`-- ja
|-- bugs.html
|-- rsyslog.conf.5.xml
|-- rsyslogd.8.xml
|-- OTHER_XMLS
`-- version_naming.html

# rsyslog.conf.5 and rsyslogd.8 files will be removed from ./tools/
directory.

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated!!

Best Rio.

Ryo Fujita <rfujita at redhat.com>
Senior Solution Architect, RHCE
Red Hat K.K.
TEL +81-3-5798-8500
FAX +81-3-5798-8599
Ebisu Neonato 8F
4-1-18 Ebisu, Shibuya-ku,
Tokyo Japan 1500013
Suggestion for Documentation Reconstructure [ In reply to ]
Hi Rio-san,

I need to leave soon, but a quick feedback: the proposal looks *very*
interesting. I need to digest it a bit. I have no experience with
DocBook, so I probably need to check that out, first. That may take a
short while (should you happen to know a good "getting started guide",
I'd grateful if you send me a link ;)). From first thought, I would
prefer to generate the html et al outputs from a single source (where
only that source is in git).

Feedback from other list members is also appreciated.

Rainer

Suggestion for Documentation Reconstructure [ In reply to ]
Hi Rainer-san,

DocBook.org is here.
http://www.docbook.org/

And IBM has a good guide for beginners.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/xml-matters3.html

Recently, Red Hat uses DocBook format to generate web pages ,PDFs and
so on.
For example,
https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/
A document having both html and PDF is generated from DocBook.

gnome-doc-utils and kdesdk-utils include very convenient tools to
handle DocBook and related formats.

Best Rio.

Suggestion for Documentation Reconstructure [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I just wanted to say, that I like the idea of using docbook/xml to
generate the (html) documentation (and possibly the man pages).
Imo this would make the documentation more consistent (consistent font
sizes, headers, footers etc.), more usable (You'd get something like a
TOC and possibly better cross-linking) and perhaps easier keeping
up-to-date.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?
Suggestion for Documentation Reconstructure [ In reply to ]
I still haven't found the time to have an in-depth look at docbook, but
I strongly tend to agree to Michael's conclusion. It looks like a
problem solver for some ugly problems I am facing.

I will probably re-evaluate the release goal for 3.21.x. It may happen
that I push back the script engine evolution to after summer to do some
cleanup, performance improvement, doc work and maybe a rewrite of the
file output handler. I find it a bit hard to think what is more
important, but I think we can stay with the non-scriptable config for
two more month. Maybe I can add custom functions as a smaller
improvement sometime while doing the other things.

In any case, I am happy to have Rio-san over here and as such someone to
ask for solutions to the doc problem. Thanks a lot!

Rainer

Suggestion for Documentation Reconstructure [ In reply to ]
Hi,

As I found an excellent template in the SRPM of docbook2X package,
I'm rewriting the two man pages, rsyslogd.8 and rsyslog.conf.5.

First of all, let me finish the work related to man pages.
I hope Rainer-san and other contributors devote yourself to make
rsyslog better :)

Best Rio.

Suggestion for Documentation Reconstructure [ In reply to ]
2008/7/18 Ryo Fujita <rfujita at redhat.com>:
> Hi,
>
> As I found an excellent template in the SRPM of docbook2X package,
> I'm rewriting the two man pages, rsyslogd.8 and rsyslog.conf.5.

Do you have a public git repo somewhere and a separate branch, where
you make these changes?

It would be interesting to track the progress.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?
Suggestion for Documentation Reconstructure [ In reply to ]
Hi Mike-san,

I have no git repo now.
So, I sent the files I converted to Rainer-san directly.
But I recently feel a necessity to build a public repo.
If I have a time to do it this weekend, I'll try it :)

Best Rio.

Suggestion for Documentation Reconstructure [ In reply to ]
Hi Rio-san,

I would really appreciate if you could build a git repro. I think that
would be a very valuable resource and help streamline the integration
process :)

Rainer

Suggestion for Documentation Reconstructure [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

Please check the following git repo.
http://rio.tc/git/rsyslog
Can you see the repo named 'rfujita' and 'rsyslog/man/' directory?

# It's my first time to build my own git repo :)

Suggestion for Documentation Reconstructure [ In reply to ]
Hi Rio-san,

I get a "file not found" error. Unfortunately, I am far from being a
git-wizard, so I can not provide much advise :(

Rainer

Suggestion for Documentation Reconstructure [ In reply to ]
Hi Rainer-san,

Did you access with git?
Access with web browser may fail or get 404 not found.

I succeeded as follows.

$ git clone http://rio.tc/git/rsyslog
Initialized empty Git repository in /Users/rio/Desktop/rsyslog/.git/
Getting alternates list for http://rio.tc/git/rsyslog
Getting pack list for http://rio.tc/git/rsyslog
Getting index for pack 949f41e2e385b1cea225439a0353e07b12ce5b8b
Getting pack 949f41e2e385b1cea225439a0353e07b12ce5b8b
which contains 1fd0d48dee4d10012a35a6005a5c9b9f973180b0
<snip>

$ cd rsyslog
$ git branch -r
origin/HEAD
origin/beta
origin/master
origin/queuememleak
origin/rfujita
origin/rscript
origin/tests
origin/v1-stable
origin/v2-stable
origin/v3-stable
origin/v3stable-klogbug
origin/wall

$ git-pull http://rio.tc/git/rsyslog rfujita
Fetching refs/heads/rfujita from http://rio.tc/git/rsyslog using http
Updating 37bac26..9d841de

Fast forward
man/Makefile.am | 101 ++++
man/en/man5/rsyslog.conf.5 | 686 +++++++++++++++++++++++
man/en/man8/rsyslogd.8 | 303 +++++++++++
man/entities/xinclude.dtd | 31 +
man/ja/man8/rsyslogd.8 | 319 +++++++++++
man/xml-source/en/rsyslog.conf.5.xml | 994 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++
man/xml-source/en/rsyslogd.8.xml | 685 +++++++++++++++++++++++
man/xml-source/ja/rsyslog.conf.5.xml | 997 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++
man/xml-source/ja/rsyslogd.8.xml | 633 +++++++++++++++++++++
man/xslt/docbook.xsl | 127 +++++
man/xslt/expand-sambadoc.xsl | 507 +++++++++++++++++
man/xslt/man.xsl | 70 +++
man/xslt/settings.xsl | 11 +
create mode 100644 man/Makefile.am
create mode 100644 man/en/man5/rsyslog.conf.5
create mode 100644 man/en/man8/rsyslogd.8
create mode 100644 man/entities/xinclude.dtd
create mode 100644 man/ja/man8/rsyslogd.8
create mode 100644 man/xml-source/en/rsyslog.conf.5.xml
create mode 100644 man/xml-source/en/rsyslogd.8.xml
create mode 100644 man/xml-source/ja/rsyslog.conf.5.xml
create mode 100644 man/xml-source/ja/rsyslogd.8.xml
create mode 100644 man/xslt/docbook.xsl
create mode 100644 man/xslt/expand-sambadoc.xsl
create mode 100644 man/xslt/man.xsl
create mode 100644 man/xslt/settings.xsl

Suggestion for Documentation Reconstructure [ In reply to ]
Hi Rio-san,

doh ;) Yes, I was after the web interface. I now pulled the repo with
git and everything works fine :)

Rainer

Suggestion for Documentation Reconstructure [ In reply to ]
Fine!

I don't know how to publish git directory for web browser.
If I find the way to do, all you can access with browser :)

Best Rio.