Mailing List Archive

Facility of imklog-generated messages on linux
Hi all,

I am currently working on the imklog module. I noticed that - for years
now - internally generated messages of this module are also emitted with
the "kernel" facility. For example, the startup message:

imklog 3.17.1-bsd, log source = /proc/kmsg started.

rsyslog has taken over that behavior from the sysklogd project, so it is
really ages old. HOWEVER, I personally think this is the wrong facility.
IMHO the syslogd facility would be the right one, as this message is not
from the kernel log but instead locally generated by the syslogd (the
syslog subsystem, to be precise).

On BSD, no similar problem exists so far, because there no kernel
message was added. At the current snapshot, I add few messages if things
go wrong. Actually, this triggered the question on how to handle
internally generated messages...

Question now: shall I change that to LOG_SYSLOG? Or should it remain as
is? Final option: a config switch where the user can configure which
facility to use (that would then default to LOG_SYSLOG IMO).

Feedback is appreciated.

Rainer
Facility of imklog-generated messages on linux [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

I have thought a bit more about it. I ended up with a configuration
variable, but the default is depending on the klog driver. So on Linux,
we continue to log those messages as kernel, while on BSD we continue to
log them as syslogd. The default can be overwritten by the user.

However, I still wonder if it really is desirable to log the messages as
kernel on Linux.

Rainer