Mailing List Archive

Another compatibility question...
Hi all,

I'd appreciate your feedback on this question.

Historically, syslog messages were not only received on port 514, but
were also send from that port. This is an artifact from the fact that
early syslogd used a single port both for sending and receiving. So far,
I have maintained that and done so with some pain. With v3, I would like
to get rid of this legacy (because it introduces inter-module
dependencies and also makes multiple listeners really complicated).

So I wonder if anyone over here finds this "feature" (syslog messages
are sent from port 514 by default) important. What pops up my mind are
firewall rules. Is there anything else broken if we change that?

Feedback is highly appreciated,
Rainer