system has more resources available but for some reason rsyslog is not
using them to help process and forward logs. I have attached a copy of our
config file for reference.

[1] https://paste.centos.org/view/36386fa1

--
Sincerely,
Andrew Heath
aheath1992@gmail.com
Re: Tuning rsyslog to forward logs [ In reply to ]
The queue fills up because rsyslog is not able to deliver the logs fast enough.
You are sending the logs via TCP (encrypted) so the sending is throttled to the
speed that the receiving system can accept them.

Are you using Splunk as the syslog listener to accept the messages?

Splunk is a very poor performing syslog listener, you would be better of running
rsyslog on the splunk system and writing the files to disk there and then
reading those files into Splunk (frequent log rotation and sinkhole options to
have splunk delete the file after it reads it are your friends, you can also
have rsyslog write to different directories based on the sender
hostname/sourcetype/index and have splunk pick those up from the directory
rather than showing the splunk system as the sending host)

David Lang

Re: Tuning rsyslog to forward logs [ In reply to ]
Another way of sending to Splunk (if it's indeed the case) is to use
omhttp and send to a HEC input (with the added benefit of the
possibility to add metadata to events).

MK