Mailing List Archive

Installing rsyslog/omhttp on Rocky linux 9
I have an older install on Centos 7 and I'm trying to install on Rocky
linux 9.

The older version is running on Centos 7:
[root@localhost ~]# yum list installed|grep rsyslog
rsyslog.x86_64 8.2204.0-3.1
@home_rgerhards
rsyslog-omhttp.x86_64 8.2204.0-3.1
@home_rgerhards

These were installed using these commands:
[root@local rsyslog]# cd /etc/yum.repos.d/
[root@local yum.repos.d]# wget --no-check-certificate
https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:rgerhards/CentOS_7/home:rgerhards.repo
[root@local yum.repos.d]# yum install rsyslog-omhttp

Is there a different repo URL that I can wget/load for Rocky_9?

Kevin
Re: Installing rsyslog/omhttp on Rocky linux 9 [ In reply to ]
I checked, but SuSe unfortunately does not provide the ability to
build for Rocky Linux.

Maybe you can give these ones a try:

https://www.rsyslog.com/rhelcentos-rpms/

I would appreciate it if you could report back your findings, whatever
they may be.

Rainer

Re: Installing rsyslog/omhttp on Rocky linux 9 [ In reply to ]
I used the following commands and it seems to have rsyslog running OK.

Do you think it's reasonably safe to use CentOS_8 RPMs installed on
Rocky_9. I don't have a good understanding of how the rpms are compiled or
how they are targeted for a particular linux distro.

# wget
https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:rgerhards/CentOS_8/home:rgerhards.repo
# yum remove rsyslog
# yum install rsyslog
# yum install rsyslog-omhttp
# rsyslogd -v
rsyslogd 8.2312.0 (aka 2023.12) compiled with:
PLATFORM: x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
PLATFORM (lsb_release -d):
FEATURE_REGEXP: Yes
GSSAPI Kerberos 5 support: Yes
FEATURE_DEBUG (debug build, slow code): No
32bit Atomic operations supported: Yes
64bit Atomic operations supported: Yes
memory allocator: system default
Runtime Instrumentation (slow code): No
uuid support: Yes
systemd support: Yes
Config file: /etc/rsyslog.conf
PID file: /var/run/rsyslogd.pid
Number of Bits in RainerScript integers: 64

See https://www.rsyslog.com for more information.
# yum list installed|grep syslog
rsyslog.x86_64 8.2312.0-3.1
@home_rgerhards
rsyslog-omhttp.x86_64 8.2312.0-3.1
@home_rgerhards

Re: Installing rsyslog/omhttp on Rocky linux 9 [ In reply to ]
the build instructions for how they are compiled is in the rsyslog git repos,
different rpm based distros have different versions of packages on them that
rsyslog depends on. If the wrong ones change in incompatible ways, it won't
work.

If the Rocky devs are shipping rsyslog, see what their build options are and
look at compilign rsyslog directly from source to get the latest version.

David Lang