Mailing List Archive

Does HUP signal cause a TLS certificate reload?
Hi,

I'm using rsyslog as packaged by Debian 12 (bookworm). I'm logging
to central servers:

$DefaultNetstreamDriver gtls
[…]
*.* @@server.example.com:10514

I'm using client TLS certificates that expire after 3 months. I have
automation to put the updated certificate files in place, but if I
do not restart rsyslog then it does not pick up the new certificates
and eventually the client rsyslog is rejected and cannot re-connect.

I can easily restart rsyslog when new certificate files are put in
place, but then I get logs like this from every client host (many):

2023-12-30T02:32:01.521137+00:00 client1.example.com rsyslogd: omfwd: remote server at server.example.com:10514 seems to have closed connection. This often happens when the remote peer (or an interim system like a load balancer or firewall) shuts down or aborts a connection. Rsyslog will re-open the connection if configured to do so (we saw a generic IO Error, which usually goes along with that behaviour). [v8.2302.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2027 ]
2023-12-30T02:32:01.531001+00:00 client1.example.com rsyslogd: action 'action-19-builtin:omfwd' suspended (module 'builtin:omfwd'), retry 0. There should be messages before this one giving the reason for suspension. [v8.2302.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2007 ]
2023-12-30T02:32:02.327418+00:00 client1.example.com rsyslogd: action 'action-19-builtin:omfwd' resumed (module 'builtin:omfwd') [v8.2302.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2359 ]

So my simple question is, if I instead send a HUP signal to rsyslog,
will it rel;oad its updated TLS certificate files?

Or, is there another graceful way to do that?

The above log lines seem harmless but they trip my monitoring and I
would rather not programmatically ignore them as I may end up
ignoring a real problem later on.

Thanks,
Andy
Re: Does HUP signal cause a TLS certificate reload? [ In reply to ]
I believe restarting is the only way possible to achieve this. Certificates are connection based and therefore you must force the client to re-establish the connection to pickup the new certificate.

The client messages are therefore expected and should not be considered an error.

Regards,

Re: Does HUP signal cause a TLS certificate reload? [ In reply to ]
a HUP will reconnect, but I don't think that a HUP will reload the certificates
from disk.

David Lang

Re: Does HUP signal cause a TLS certificate reload? [ In reply to ]
It will not.

Rainer