not worried about that. The problem is that on the device itself I do not
see any logs leaving the device. Nor do I see them at the firewall
(x.x.x.x). I have used netcat to see if the remote port is open and
reachable and it is. I have re-install rsyslog and restarted it. Nothing
seems to work.

However, when I issue the logger command:

logger -n x.x.x.x -P 514 -d "This is a test"

I see that data. What else can I check with my rsyslog setup? Thank you.
Re: rsyslog - problem sending udp traffic [ In reply to ]
please post your full config.

I would also check your firewall config (iptables/nftables) on the system to see
if it's blocking the connection.

Also make sure you have a route to the destination IP (you probably have a
default route that does this, but it is something we've run across)

are you seeing any startup errors? or config errors (start rsyslog manually with
rsyslogd -N1

if none of that helps, we may need to get debug info, but start with the simpler
stuff. Normally this 'just works' so I'd guess that it's a syntax error
somewhere in the config.

David Lang

Re: rsyslog - problem sending udp traffic [ In reply to ]
Also be sure that you're not stopping processing your event before it
reaches the forwarding entry.

As David wrote - it's hard to debug a config if you don't see it as a whole.

Re: rsyslog - problem sending udp traffic [ In reply to ]
Note that “@x.x.x.x” uses UDP, not TCP. If you want TCP use “@@x.x.x.x”

Regards,

Re: rsyslog - problem sending udp traffic [ In reply to ]
Here it is:

module(load="imfile")
module(load="imuxsock")
module(load="imklog")
module(load="imjournal")

timezone(id="UTC")
$ActionFileDefaultTemplate RSYSLOG_TraditionalFileFormat

$RepeatedMsgReduction on

$FileOwner syslog
$FileGroup adm

global(net.enableDNS="off" workDirectory="/var/spool/rsyslog"
maxMessageSize="128K")

$IncludeConfig /etc/rsyslog.d/*.conf

audit.* action(type="omfile" file="/var/log/audit/audit.log")
& stop
auth.warning;authpriv.info.* action(type="omfile"
file="/var/log/auth.log")
& stop
auth,authpriv.none action(type="omfile"
file="/var/log/syslog")
& stop
cron.info action(type="omfile"
file="/var/log/cron.log")
& stop
daemon.info action(type="omfile" file="/var/log/daemon.log")
& stop
kern.info action(type="omfile" file="/var/log/kern.log")
& stop
user.info action(type="omfile" file="/var/log/user.log")
& stop

local7.* action(type="omfile" file="/var/log/boot.log")
& stop

*.* @x.x.x.x

rsyslogd -N1 shows no errors. strace shows no errors.

Re: rsyslog - problem sending udp traffic [ In reply to ]
all of those &stop lines are telling rsyslog that if it matches the filter and
writes it to the file that it should stop processing that message.

As a result, anything that gets written to a local file will stop processing
before it gets down to your udp sending action

David Lang

Re: rsyslog - problem sending udp traffic [ In reply to ]
Move the forwarding rule to the top, that should solve your issue.

Rainer

Sent from phone, thus brief.

David Lang via rsyslog <rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com> schrieb am Do., 17. Aug.
2023, 19:16:

Re: rsyslog - problem sending udp traffic [ In reply to ]
That works - thanks! The only thing it does not do is forward the logs we
have configured in /etc/rsyslog.d. Is that correct or is there potentially
a different issue? We put the stops in there because the audit logs were
appearing in /var/log/syslog.

Re: rsyslog - problem sending udp traffic [ In reply to ]
start rsyslog with command line rsyslogd -o /path/to/file and that file will
have the full config as rsyslog sees it.

you probably still have a problem with the order of things, but without seeing
the full config, we can only guess at what's happening.

why do you have so many stop statement? your filters are not overlapping. If you
did not have the stop statements, the order would not matter as they would all
be evaluated.

David Lang

Re: rsyslog - problem sending udp traffic [ In reply to ]
You should move the forwarding rule really to the top, above the include
statement. Thus I really meant top because it solves all such rule
dependency issues (I am not a fan of splitting configs, it unnecessarily
complicates things, at least in almost all cases) ????.

Rainer