Mailing List Archive

Weird problems when combining rsyslog 3 and 4
Hi,

I have a funny problem. Around here we have a number of nodes using
old, syslogd, which report to their headnodes, which use rsyslog v3,
wich keep relaying till I get a small copy on a test box. This test box
uses, since yesterday, rsyslog v4.

I noticed that for rsyslog v4, the last relay is considered to be the
source host, the real source host is considered to be the syslogtag and
everything else is inside the %msg% property. For the default template,
I get messages like these:

2009-03-26T00:00:00+01:00 relayhost sourcehost1 cvs: GSSAPI userok:
cvsadmin GSS_C_MUTUAL_FLAG GSS_C_REPLAY_FLAG GSS_C_INTEG_FLAG
GSS_C_CONF_FLAG
2009-03-26T00:00:00+01:00 relayhost sourcehost2 cvs: GSSAPI userok:
cvsadmin GSS_C_MUTUAL_FLAG GSS_C_REPLAY_FLAG GSS_C_INTEG_FLAG
GSS_C_CONF_FLAG

And, as I used to have a single file per host, I now have a single, huge
"relayhost" file. Filters based on source or program name are broken, of
course.

What did I screw when upgrading?

Thanks.
--
Luis Fernando Muñoz Mejías
Luis.Fernando.Munoz.Mejias@cern.ch

Re: Weird problems when combining rsyslog 3 and 4 [ In reply to ]
You screw nothing - that's a bug in v4. You need to pull the latest devel
from git ;) A new release is due soon.

Rainer

Re: Weird problems when combining rsyslog 3 and 4 [ In reply to ]
El Jueves, 26 de Marzo de 2009 15:30, Rainer Gerhards escribió:
> You screw nothing - that's a bug in v4. You need to pull the latest devel
> from git ;)

I just tried (if it's "master" branch, I mean), with no success.

Cheers.

Re: Weird problems when combining rsyslog 3 and 4 [ In reply to ]
It's the master branch and I am sure I fixed this... mhhh... Need to finally
complete what I am working on right now, will look after that...

Rainer

Re: Weird problems when combining rsyslog 3 and 4 [ In reply to ]
El Jueves, 26 de Marzo de 2009 17:04, Rainer Gerhards escribió:
> It's the master branch and I am sure I fixed this...

I'm sorry to say it's not. I just pulled git master branch, rebuilt,
reinstalled and no changes.

5 minutes ago I downgraded to v3.20, and my new log files appeared as I
expected them to, and my filters work as expected.

> mhhh... Need to finally complete what I am working on right now, will
> look after that...

Of course.

Cheers.

Re: Weird problems when combining rsyslog 3 and 4 [ In reply to ]
Can you send me an on-the-wire sample of those messages (I mean that are
invalidly interpreted). I have now created the parser test suite and they
would make a good addition, especially as I need to troubleshoot them ;)

Rainer

Re: Weird problems when combining rsyslog 3 and 4 [ In reply to ]
Rainer,

> Can you send me an on-the-wire sample of those messages (I mean that are
> invalidly interpreted). I have now created the parser test suite and they
> would make a good addition, especially as I need to troubleshoot them ;)
>
> Rainer

Before disclosing enough data I have to ask for permission. I can tell
you that the last hop in this relay chain is using rsyslog v3, and that
the format I got (tcpdump dixit) for these messages is always like this:

<38>Mar 27 19:06:53 source_server sshd(pam_unix)[12750]: session opened
for user foo by (uid=0)

And what gets actually logged for that is:

2009-03-27T19:06:53+01:00 last_hop_server source_server
sshd(pam_unix)[12750]: session opened for user foo by (uid=0)

Then, last_hop_server becomes %hostname% and source_server becomes
%syslogtag%.

This last hop server is using rsyslog v3, so it seems to me I have to
instruct v4 that the input is coming in a non-default format.

Cheers.

Re: Weird problems when combining rsyslog 3 and 4 [ In reply to ]
These samples are enough, no need to disclose more. Single lines are sufficient, as long as they can repro the problem :)

rainer

Re: Weird problems when combining rsyslog 3 and 4 [ In reply to ]
Sorry, this slipped my attention. However, I have just added this case to the
parser test suite and I do not see any parsing error. Maybe a problem with
the template (but I don't think so)? Could you re-try and provide me a debug
log (need parsing and sending) from when this problem occurred.

Thanks,
Rainer