Mailing List Archive

Please Help! IPTables dumping to Console!!!
I am running Fedora 10 linux with rsyslogd as my active logger. Recently I
have had an issue with my iptables LOG target output going to the console
and not going to the /var/log/messages file, even with the --log-level 6
argument. I have halfway resolved this issue by editing the
/etc/rsyslog.conf file to include: kern.warning /var/log/iptables.log and
appending --log-level 4 to my LOG target rules. This caused the output to
go to the aforementioned file AND the console.

I wish to still have the log data going to the iptables.log file, but wish
to stop the dump to the console. I have reviewed the rsyslog.conf file, and
the only statement which references /dev/console is kern.* but it is
commented out with #. I am tempted to remove this statement to see if it
helps, but I am unsure if this is safe, and furthermore convinced it will
not change the outcome as this line is nothing more than a comment.

Is there something somewhere I am perhaps missing? I don't fully understand
the steps that move the log target output to the file, other than rsyslogd
is in the middle somewhere with the kernel. Any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated! Please send suggestion to mtant621@chater.net

I thank everyone for your help...

Michael Tant
Re: Please Help! IPTables dumping to Console!!! [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Michael Tant wrote:

> Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 14:53:19 -0400
> From: Michael Tant <mtant621@charter.net>
> To: rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com
> Subject: [rsyslog] Please Help! IPTables dumping to Console!!!
>
> I am running Fedora 10 linux with rsyslogd as my active logger. Recently I
> have had an issue with my iptables LOG target output going to the console
> and not going to the /var/log/messages file, even with the --log-level 6
> argument. I have halfway resolved this issue by editing the
> /etc/rsyslog.conf file to include: kern.warning /var/log/iptables.log and
> appending --log-level 4 to my LOG target rules. This caused the output to
> go to the aforementioned file AND the console.
>
> I wish to still have the log data going to the iptables.log file, but wish
> to stop the dump to the console. I have reviewed the rsyslog.conf file, and
> the only statement which references /dev/console is kern.* but it is
> commented out with #. I am tempted to remove this statement to see if it
> helps, but I am unsure if this is safe, and furthermore convinced it will
> not change the outcome as this line is nothing more than a comment.
>
> Is there something somewhere I am perhaps missing? I don't fully understand
> the steps that move the log target output to the file, other than rsyslogd
> is in the middle somewhere with the kernel. Any suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated! Please send suggestion to mtant621@chater.net

there are a couple of possibilities here

1. you have something in /etc/rsyslog.conf that sends output to the
console (or to root)

the fix for this is to just remove/change the rsyslog.conf file

2. take a look in /etc/sysctl and see what you have log levels set to.
some distros think that the iptables logs are important enough to spam
everyone who's logged in, no matter what syslog is configured for.

David Lang