desribed here: http://www.rsyslog.com/Article60.phtml

I'd like to filter based on domain, and therefore need the fqdn of each
sending device. Is it possible to set up rsyslog to always use fqdn, even if
the sending device is on the same domain? From what I've seen in the
documentation one can set up rsyslog to always use short names, but not the
other way around. I'm using rsyslog v2.0.6.

Regards,
Kenneth
Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
I think there is no way to do that in v2 (but I have not checked the
docs).

Rainer

Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
Ok. I've checked the docs, but couldn't see that this was supported. I'll
have another look tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick response anyway. :)

Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
As far as I remember, I implemented this recently, so chances are very
slim it is in v2. But you may be able to build a patch based on what you
find in git...

Rainer

Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
This may be a good starting point:

http://git.adiscon.com/?p=rsyslog.git;a=commitdiff;h=60b8ce14bf33e76237c
f82dd1f68acc750e64316

Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to discuss this with my colleagues, but since
this will probably not be very popular with red hat support I suspect that
we'll land on not doing this. :/

Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
Side-note: if you talk to red hat, ask if they will move over to v3 any
time before RHEL 6. I do not have specifics, but I would not outrule
such a move. In that case, you'd have only a temporary problem (which
may be easier to bear).

Rainer

Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
I've contacted red hat to see what their rsyslog plans are. :) I'll post
back when I hear something.

Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
I talked to Red Hat, and it seems like they will not be upgrading rsyslog to
v3 before RHEL 6. :/

Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
I do not know whom to approach, but maybe we can get someone else into
the boat who can build an publish non RH RPMs that work on RHEL...
Anyone with a suggestion on whom to approach?

Rainer

Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

have you tried to contact the epel group?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

They should be able to include an upgrade for rsyslog into their
repository for REL5 if you ask them.

Bye
David

Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 02:25, David Ecker <david@ecker-software.de> wrote:
> have you tried to contact the epel group?
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL
>
> They should be able to include an upgrade for rsyslog into their
> repository for REL5 if you ask them.

Failing that, I already wrote one spec for rsyslog-3.x under CentOS-5
and could be pretty easily persuaded to do so again.
Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
Hi RB,

Consider this a persuasion attempt ;)

One thing, though is how to make those things easily acessible. Can we
(you? ;)) get it pushed to something like EPEL, or are there other
places or would it be sufficient to include some packages on rsyslog.com
(made inside a specially created part of the git tree, too). How is this
usually done?

Rainer

Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 01:17, Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com> wrote:
> Hi RB,
>
> Consider this a persuasion attempt ;)
>
> One thing, though is how to make those things easily acessible. Can we
> (you? ;)) get it pushed to something like EPEL, or are there other
> places or would it be sufficient to include some packages on rsyslog.com
> (made inside a specially created part of the git tree, too). How is this
> usually done?

A quick look upstream shows that Fedora is maintaining a _very_
current package (currently 3.21.10, updated 3 hours ago). The person
(Tomas) that seems to have taken over the Fedora SPEC maintenance has
an @redhat.com address, so they might be the right person to persuade
to get a stable (3.20.4) package into EPEL. I'll ask and see what
they say.

That said, I haven't tested this yet, but generally speaking Fedora
RPMs have worked reasonably well for me under CentOS as long as I'm
current.

Regardless, I'll take the flag and see what I can do to get a
readily-accessible reasonably current build available for CentOS-5.
Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 13:11, RB <aoz.syn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Regardless, I'll take the flag and see what I can do to get a
> readily-accessible reasonably current build available for CentOS-5.

Good & bad news - the good news is the Fedora upstream is very
responsive, the bad news is I got sidetracked after his response.

I have been told that rsyslog cannot be put in EPEL since it is
already packaged in RHEL, be that package good or bad. Tomas has
offered to help with the SPEC should I have any problems, but it looks
like we're on our own for the time being.

RPM package distribution can be done to various depths. The simplest
is to just provide both the SRPM and unsigned binary RPMs for a few
chosen CPU architectures for each packaged release as an HTTP or FTP
download. This would allow one-off installations (updates would be
manual) and generally get the package 'out there' for use. Further
steps would involve signing the binaries and possibly publishing a
repo that users could subscribe to (using /etc/yum.* or equivalent)
for automated updates.

Distributing a binary package in whatever form is going to increase
the load (however mildly) on the project - each release will involve
compiling and distributing binaries and SRPMs, if not signing them as
well. I can work with you [Rainer] to automate that process, but as a
random user I should probably not be doing the compilation and signing
myself.

So, we have 4 basic questions:
1. What versions are desired?
2. Are there any rsyslog components or functionality not packaged in
the Fedora distribution users here would like to see included?
3. Do we want to sign the packages?
4. Who will perform the compilation/signing?
Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
Hi RB,

thanks for all your hard work. I am absolutely willing to help make
succeed in that. Just one question before we do down to details. Are
there any other options that we can pursue? I remember, quite some time
ago, that someone posted the idea that some well-known (non-RH, not
EPEL) repositories exist. Unfortunatley, I do no longer know which these
were.

So the question is: are there any other such repositories where RHEL
users turn to and, if so, can we work with them to achieve our joint
goals?

Sorry for some backtracking here...

Rainer

Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
even where rsyslog is included in a distro it's very handy to have a spec
file (or debian equivalent) included with the source to allow a 'make rpm'
or 'make deb' to properly make packages.

I've been using checkinstall to create debian packages from the compiled
source, and I don't know what it's doing wrong, but I've been tripped up a
few times by it not replacing all the files that it should if rsyslog is
already installed (the packages it creates work just fine if rsyslog isn't
installed at all)

David Lang

Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
2009/2/26 <david@lang.hm>:
> even where rsyslog is included in a distro it's very handy to have a spec
> file (or debian equivalent) included with the source to allow a 'make rpm'
> or 'make deb' to properly make packages.
>
> I've been using checkinstall to create debian packages from the compiled
> source, and I don't know what it's doing wrong, but I've been tripped up a
> few times by it not replacing all the files that it should if rsyslog is
> already installed (the packages it creates work just fine if rsyslog isn't
> installed at all)

FWIW, I as Debian maintainer of rsyslog, explicitly asked Rainer to
remove the debian/ directory from the upstream source tree. Reason is
simple: Packaging is the task of the downstream distros and the files
shipped upstream were always out-of-date anyways. This not only caused
more work for me as Debian maintainer but also leads to bad user
experience if the rpm/debs created from the upstream spec/debian build
files are outdated and potentially create a half-way broken package.

If the fedora bits are kept in an entirely separate upstream packaging
branch, then I don't really care.
But I wouldn't like to see them (or any debian related files) shipped
in a release tarball.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?
Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Michael Biebl wrote:

> 2009/2/26 <david@lang.hm>:
>> even where rsyslog is included in a distro it's very handy to have a spec
>> file (or debian equivalent) included with the source to allow a 'make rpm'
>> or 'make deb' to properly make packages.
>>
>> I've been using checkinstall to create debian packages from the compiled
>> source, and I don't know what it's doing wrong, but I've been tripped up a
>> few times by it not replacing all the files that it should if rsyslog is
>> already installed (the packages it creates work just fine if rsyslog isn't
>> installed at all)
>

> FWIW, I as Debian maintainer of rsyslog, explicitly asked Rainer to
> remove the debian/ directory from the upstream source tree. Reason is
> simple: Packaging is the task of the downstream distros and the files
> shipped upstream were always out-of-date anyways. This not only caused
> more work for me as Debian maintainer but also leads to bad user
> experience if the rpm/debs created from the upstream spec/debian build
> files are outdated and potentially create a half-way broken package.
>
> If the fedora bits are kept in an entirely separate upstream packaging
> branch, then I don't really care.
> But I wouldn't like to see them (or any debian related files) shipped
> in a release tarball.

so how am I (a debian user) supposed to create debian compatible packages
for versions that you don't yet deal with?

why couldn't you push the debian related files upstream and maintain them
there? (submitting patches, or git pull requests for updates)

David Lang
Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
2009/2/27 <david@lang.hm>:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Michael Biebl wrote:
>
>> 2009/2/26  <david@lang.hm>:
>>> even where rsyslog is included in a distro it's very handy to have a spec
>>> file (or debian equivalent) included with the source to allow a 'make rpm'
>>> or 'make deb' to properly make packages.
>>>
>>> I've been using checkinstall to create debian packages from the compiled
>>> source, and I don't know what it's doing wrong, but I've been tripped up a
>>> few times by it not replacing all the files that it should if rsyslog is
>>> already installed (the packages it creates work just fine if rsyslog isn't
>>> installed at all)
>>

>> FWIW, I as Debian maintainer of rsyslog, explicitly asked Rainer to
>> remove the debian/ directory from the upstream source tree. Reason is
>> simple: Packaging is the task of the downstream distros and the files
>> shipped upstream were always out-of-date anyways. This not only caused
>> more work for me as Debian maintainer but also leads to bad user
>> experience if the rpm/debs created from the upstream spec/debian build
>> files are outdated and potentially create a half-way broken package.
>>
>> If the fedora bits are kept in an entirely separate upstream packaging
>> branch, then I don't really care.
>> But I wouldn't like to see them (or any debian related files) shipped
>> in a release tarball.
>
> so how am I (a debian user) supposed to create debian compatible packages
> for versions that you don't yet deal with?
>
> why couldn't you push the debian related files upstream and maintain them
> there? (submitting patches, or git pull requests for updates)

Pretty simple: It's less work for me and Rainer and more flexible.
Say I (for Debian) start adding the files upstream, so does Fedora, BSD, etc...
Now when Rainer wants to make a new release to not have any stale
packaging files, he would have to ping all package maintainer first to
update the build files and push those changes. That simply doesn't
scale.
Packaging and upstream software releases should be decoupled.

If you are really interested in the Debian Packaging, you can grab the
git repository from [1] and either work from there or at it as a
"remote" to the rsyslog git repo and merge the debian specific bits.

Cheers,
Michael

[1] http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/rsyslog.git;a=summary
universe are pointed away from Earth?
Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009, Michael Biebl wrote:

>>> If the fedora bits are kept in an entirely separate upstream packaging
>>> branch, then I don't really care.
>>> But I wouldn't like to see them (or any debian related files) shipped
>>> in a release tarball.
>>
>> so how am I (a debian user) supposed to create debian compatible packages
>> for versions that you don't yet deal with?
>>
>> why couldn't you push the debian related files upstream and maintain them
>> there? (submitting patches, or git pull requests for updates)
>
> Pretty simple: It's less work for me and Rainer and more flexible.
> Say I (for Debian) start adding the files upstream, so does Fedora, BSD, etc...
> Now when Rainer wants to make a new release to not have any stale
> packaging files, he would have to ping all package maintainer first to
> update the build files and push those changes. That simply doesn't
> scale.
> Packaging and upstream software releases should be decoupled.
>
> If you are really interested in the Debian Packaging, you can grab the
> git repository from [1] and either work from there or at it as a
> "remote" to the rsyslog git repo and merge the debian specific bits.

it's not that I'm interested in debian packaging, it's that I need to
install the stuff that you haven't decided to ship in debian yet on my
debian system in such a way that I keep the package manager happy (and
don't have it overwriting what I've compiled with an update of an obsolete
version)

it's not that the upstream version of the files need to be perfect, but
they should be good enough to avoid the need for users to have to fight
the packaging system and duplicate your efforts.

I hate to have to pull in some stuff from your tree and combine it with
stuff from the upstream tree because I don't know enough to be sure that
I'm both pulling everything I need and not pulling something that will
cause grief.

you've made your decision, count this as one voice disagreeing with that
decision.

David Lang
Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
Hi RB,

on twitter, I was pointed to rpmforge. Does this sound like something
that could be used?

Rainer

Re: Get rsyslog to always use fqdn of sending devices? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 06:57, Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com> wrote:
> on twitter, I was pointed to rpmforge. Does this sound like something
> that could be used?

That definitely looks viable, I'll submit a request and see how it goes.