Mailing List Archive

Multiple devices with same ip address.

believed to be clean.

Re: Multiple devices with same ip address. [ In reply to ]
Couldn't you use NAT on the vlan interfaces? that way traffic on each
interface could be mapped to a different IP address as seen by the
logging machine.

-- Paul

Re: Multiple devices with same ip address. [ In reply to ]

believed to be clean.

Re: Multiple devices with same ip address. [ In reply to ]
Hard to give you specifics without a lot more information (and time's
scarce, sorry).

Something that helped me understand how netfilter handles packets, and
the order the various tables/chains happen, is the documentation for
ebtables, specifically:
http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/br_fw_ia/br_fw_ia.html

I'd be amazed if it's not possible to masquerade/source-NAT each vlan
interface to a unique IP addresses. Between netfilter and ebtables,
there's an enormous amount of flexibility.

-- Paul

Re: Multiple devices with same ip address. [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Milton Calnek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running a test lab with gear where every piece of gear
> under test has the same ip address.
>
> I have separated them via vlans, but I want to be able to send syslog
> from these devices to a central host... but with everything having the
> same ip address, there doesn't seem to be a way easily separate the logs.
> I see how to log based on ip, but not MAC nor interface.
>
> Before I invest in the development time, I was wondering if you folks
> have any suggestions?

if you are running rsyslog on the systems under test, try changing the
template that rsyslog uses to sent the messages out from
each system puts something unique in it's logs.

David Lang
Re: Multiple devices with same ip address. [ In reply to ]
David is right, this is probably the best way to do it. Even if the
sender's in question are not powered by rsyslog, it most often is
possible to put something unique into the messages. If there are few
devices (<= 8), you can also use the local syslog facilities to identify
the instances (almost all senders allow to configure that).

In any case, you can then use the unique identifier to sort out messages
to different bins on the receiver.

HTH
Rainer