Mailing List Archive

rsyslog freeze dude
Hello
If I configure rsyslog client like this:

WorkDirectory /root/rsyslog
$ActionQueueType LinkedList
$ActionQueueFileName myfile
$ActionResumeRetryCount -1

and

*.* @@somehost.domain.com

Is possible that lost of conectivity (internet down) of this server
during days, produce that server freeze? or not be possible to login to
the machine?

If I do /etc/init.d/rsyslog restart it takes long long time to restart.

Please Rainer I hope you help me. thanks

--
Mikel Jimenez Fernandez
Irontec, Internet y Sistemas sobre GNU/LinuX - http://www.irontec.com

Re: rsyslog freeze dude [ In reply to ]
Hi Mikel,

which version are you using? The "ssh hang" can probably be related to
the initial thought that imuxsock messages can be delayed. This has been
changed in recent releases.

Other than that, please note that actions are retried in intervals and
these intervals get longer each time the action is retried without
success. This is done in order to save unnecessary work. I think there
currently is no config setting to change the default intervals.

It may be useful to get a shutdown debug log from such an occurrence.

Rainer

Re: rsyslog freeze dude [ In reply to ]
Rainer Gerhards escribió:
> Hi Mikel,
>
> which version are you using? The "ssh hang" can probably be related to
> the initial thought that imuxsock messages can be delayed. This has been
> changed in recent releases.
>
> Other than that, please note that actions are retried in intervals and
> these intervals get longer each time the action is retried without
> success. This is done in order to save unnecessary work. I think there
> currently is no config setting to change the default intervals.
>
> It may be useful to get a shutdown debug log from such an occurrence.
>
> Rainer

Hello Rainer

root@ironpbx:~# rsyslogd -v
rsyslogd 3.16.1, compiled with:
FEATURE_REGEXP: Yes
FEATURE_LARGEFILE: Yes
FEATURE_NETZIP (message compression): Yes
GSSAPI Kerberos 5 support: No
FEATURE_DEBUG (debug build, slow code): No
Runtime Instrumentation (slow code): No

See http://www.rsyslog.com for more information.

Say me if you need more information.

Re: rsyslog freeze dude [ In reply to ]
Hi Mikel,

Please upgrade to the recent v3-stable. That will probably solve the big
issue, if not all.

Rainer
Re: rsyslog freeze dude [ In reply to ]
Rainer Gerhards escribió:
> Hi Mikel,

OK

What is the last stable version?

There is a debian package?
Other thing:
The workDirectory is necesary that exist?
For example: WorkDirectory /rsyslog/work is a directory in / called
rsyslog and another one inside this called work?

If they aren´t can cause a bug?

Re: rsyslog freeze dude [ In reply to ]
> OK
>
> What is the last stable version?

I checked, it is 3.20.0 (and while checking I noticed that the project status was once again outdated ;))

> There is a debian package?

This I don't know.

> Other thing:
> The workDirectory is necesary that exist?
Yes, absolutely

> For example: WorkDirectory /rsyslog/work is a directory in / called
> rsyslog and another one inside this called work?
>
> If they aren´t can cause a bug?

I'd say yes.

Rainer
Re: rsyslog freeze dude [ In reply to ]
Rainer Gerhards escribió:
>> OK
>>
>> What is the last stable version?
>>

> I checked, it is 3.20.0 (and while checking I noticed that the project status was once again outdated ;))
>

>> There is a debian package?
>>

> This I don't know.
>

>> Other thing:
>> The workDirectory is necesary that exist?
>>
> Yes, absolutely
>

>> For example: WorkDirectory /rsyslog/work is a directory in / called
>> rsyslog and another one inside this called work?
>>
>> If they aren´t can cause a bug?
>>

> I'd say yes.
>
> Rainer

Before installing this version, would be possible to do more debugging?

Re: rsyslog freeze dude [ In reply to ]
> Before installing this version, would be possible to do more
debugging?

Sorry, I don't want to upset you, but I have no time to look at things
already fixed. Quite seriously, we have paid support options for this. I
see that it can make sense for you to stay with the older version, but
there is absolutely no benefit to the community. Sorry...

Rainer
Re: rsyslog freeze dude [ In reply to ]
Rainer Gerhards escribió:
>> Before installing this version, would be possible to do more
>>
> debugging?
>
> Sorry, I don't want to upset you, but I have no time to look at things
> already fixed. Quite seriously, we have paid support options for this. I
> see that it can make sense for you to stay with the older version, but
> there is absolutely no benefit to the community. Sorry...
>
> Rainer

Ok Rainer
Thanks, really. I´m going to use the stable version.

Last question:
Why could be the reason, if I block internet in this host, and when pass
10-12 hours, obviously not logging to remote (because firewall), but why
not locally to?

I do:
logger "message"

And I have not notice in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages, and in
normal situations yes...

Thanks

Re: rsyslog freeze dude [ In reply to ]
Mikel,

sorry, I was busy yesterday. See inline...
On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 10:07 +0100, Mikel Jimenez wrote:

> Last question:
> Why could be the reason, if I block internet in this host, and when pass
> 10-12 hours, obviously not logging to remote (because firewall), but why
> not locally to?
>
> I do:
> logger "message"
>
> And I have not notice in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages, and in
> normal situations yes...

If I am right (the update will prove that) the reason is that the local
log socket is not read (because rsyslog delays imuxsock) and thus fills
up. Then, other processes trying to write to that socket will block
during the write process.

Please note that the rsyslog core will discard messages after some time,
but the rate at which this happens is too slow to get the system back to
normal. As I said, this should disappear with the recent stable version.

HTH
Rainer

Re: rsyslog freeze dude [ In reply to ]
Rainer Gerhards escribió:
> Mikel,
>
> sorry, I was busy yesterday. See inline...
> On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 10:07 +0100, Mikel Jimenez wrote:
>

>> Last question:
>> Why could be the reason, if I block internet in this host, and when pass
>> 10-12 hours, obviously not logging to remote (because firewall), but why
>> not locally to?
>>
>> I do:
>> logger "message"
>>
>> And I have not notice in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages, and in
>> normal situations yes...
>>

> If I am right (the update will prove that) the reason is that the local
> log socket is not read (because rsyslog delays imuxsock) and thus fills
> up. Then, other processes trying to write to that socket will block
> during the write process.
>
> Please note that the rsyslog core will discard messages after some time,
> but the rate at which this happens is too slow to get the system back to
> normal. As I said, this should disappear with the recent stable version.
>
> HTH
> Rainer

Thanks for your explication Rainer!! I will install 3.20 right now!!

Re: rsyslog freeze dude [ In reply to ]
> Thanks for your explication Rainer!! I will install 3.20 right now!!

Please let me know if the problem then re-appears. I don't think so, but
if it does this is definitely something we should look into ASAP. I'd
also appreciate if you let me know if the issue is fixed after the
upgrade.

Rainer
Re: rsyslog freeze dude [ In reply to ]
Rainer Gerhards escribió:
>> Thanks for your explication Rainer!! I will install 3.20 right now!!
>>

> Please let me know if the problem then re-appears. I don't think so, but
> if it does this is definitely something we should look into ASAP. I'd
> also appreciate if you let me know if the issue is fixed after the
> upgrade.
>
> Rainer

Ok, I will do it