Mailing List Archive

Fw: log forwarding in version 3
Hi,
We have a 3 tier cluster that uses Fedora 9 which has rsyslog v3. We'd
like to have logs sent from tier3 to tier1 through tier2. (tier3->tier2->
tier1).

In tier2 and tier1, we have setup the following in /etc/rsyslog.conf to
enable them receiving remote logs.
$ModLoad imudp.so
$UDPServerRun 514

In tier2, we have set up the following in etc/rsyslog.conf to send the logs
to tier1:
*.* @tier1

In tier3, we have set up the following in /etc/rsyslog.conf to send the
logs to tier2 :
*.* @tier2

Question:
1. What other setting we need to enable in tier2 so that the logs from
tier3 can be forwarded to tier1 via tier2? (something like -h option in
lower versions).
2. If some of the nodes in tier3 are Fedora 8 using rsyslog v2 and some are
Fedora 9 using rsyslog v3. Tier2 and tier1 are both Fedora 9 using rsyslog
v3, do we need to change all to the compatibility mode?

Thanks,

Ling
Re: Fw: log forwarding in version 3 [ In reply to ]
<inline>

None (but keep the firewalls in mind!)

> 2. If some of the nodes in tier3 are Fedora 8 using rsyslog v2 and
some
> are
> Fedora 9 using rsyslog v3. Tier2 and tier1 are both Fedora 9 using
> rsyslog
> v3, do we need to change all to the compatibility mode?

The compatibility mode affects the way the config file and command line
options are interpreted. It does not change anything other than those
settings. Review the compatibility guide if there are some problems with
any of your settings (my guess is "no") and if so, adjust them. It is
recommended to run each instance in native mode.

Rainer