Mailing List Archive

FreeBSD and rsyslog
Hi,

I've been working on integrating rsyslog into a FreeBSD environment, and the
following issues and questions have come up along the way:

1. The security facility isn't deprecated in FreeBSD, and I've noticed that
this is aliased to the auth facility in rsyslog. I have make a quick patch
for this on FreeBSD in order to log to the security facility again, and
added the ntp facility (also supported). These changes may be more suitable
for the FreeBSD ports tree.

2. The other FreeBSD facility in use is console, which logs all writes to
/dev/console to the console log facility. I'm not sure how important this
feature is, and it's certainly something I can live without, but it doesn't
seem supported in rsyslog.

3. FreeBSD syslog reads from two sockets, /var/run/log and /var/run/logpriv.
I was curious about support for /var/run/logpriv, however I can't find a
great deal of information about how and where this socket is used - other
than for privileged applications.

4. Finding the equivalent to the syslogd -b flag, to bind to a specific IP
address is probably at the top of my list right now. Is there any feature to
achieve this that I'm missing?

Any thoughts, suggestions and discussion welcome.

Dan.
Re: FreeBSD and rsyslog [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Dan Abernathy <dt.abernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been working on integrating rsyslog into a FreeBSD environment, and the
> following issues and questions have come up along the way:
>
> 1. The security facility isn't deprecated in FreeBSD, and I've noticed that
> this is aliased to the auth facility in rsyslog. I have make a quick patch
> for this on FreeBSD in order to log to the security facility again, and
> added the ntp facility (also supported). These changes may be more suitable
> for the FreeBSD ports tree.

Excellent, that's good news.

> 2. The other FreeBSD facility in use is console, which logs all writes to
> /dev/console to the console log facility. I'm not sure how important this
> feature is, and it's certainly something I can live without, but it doesn't
> seem supported in rsyslog.
>
> 3. FreeBSD syslog reads from two sockets, /var/run/log and /var/run/logpriv.
> I was curious about support for /var/run/logpriv, however I can't find a
> great deal of information about how and where this socket is used - other
> than for privileged applications.

Can't answer either of these.

> 4. Finding the equivalent to the syslogd -b flag, to bind to a specific IP
> address is probably at the top of my list right now. Is there any feature to
> achieve this that I'm missing?

I assume you're running rsyslogd v3. If you're using v2, check the man
pages (they're still relevant at that point). When you create the
UDP/TCP server in the rsyslog.conf file, you give it the address and
port you want it to bind to:
$UDPServerAddress 10.123.0.19
$UDPServerRun 514

Hope that helps.

-HKS
Re: FreeBSD and rsyslog [ In reply to ]
> I've been working on integrating rsyslog into a FreeBSD environment, and the
> following issues and questions have come up along the way:

You're not alone, I've just gotten distracted along the way and not
chased down any issues.

> 2. The other FreeBSD facility in use is console, which logs all writes to
> /dev/console to the console log facility. I'm not sure how important this
> feature is, and it's certainly something I can live without, but it doesn't
> seem supported in rsyslog.

Curious, I'd not carefully looked at that - it's a character device. No idea.

> 3. FreeBSD syslog reads from two sockets, /var/run/log and /var/run/logpriv.
> I was curious about support for /var/run/logpriv, however I can't find a
> great deal of information about how and where this socket is used - other
> than for privileged applications.

Should be addressable with imuxsock and permissions; not much to that.

> 4. Finding the equivalent to the syslogd -b flag, to bind to a specific IP
> address is probably at the top of my list right now. Is there any feature to
> achieve this that I'm missing?

Configuration pragma $UDPServerAddress