I'd appreciate a callback if anyone uses it or has a problem - I've
done plenty of packaging, just not for RPM-based distros.

RB
Re: RPM spec file [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> I was building a virtual host the other day and noticed only
> rsyslog-2.0.0 is packaged for CentOS et. al. Needless to say, I was
> rather disappointed and immediately whipped up something based on the
> 2.0.0 specfile.
>
> Attached is a spec file for 3.21.4, but should be usable for most of
> the 3.x series. YMMV, this has not been tested too terribly much.
> I'd appreciate a callback if anyone uses it or has a problem - I've
> done plenty of packaging, just not for RPM-based distros.

I'd love to test this so could you attach the spec or make it available?

I published mine in the rsyslog wiki.

Thanks.

Michael.

------- End of Original Message -------

Re: RPM spec file [ In reply to ]
[listadmin speaking]
Ah, I didn't notice. The list processor removes almost all attachments
in order to keep message sizes reasonable and block spread of viruses
should such files be able to go past the first line of defense. Sorry
for the inconvenience this causes...

Rainer

Re: RPM spec file [ In reply to ]
[.oops, forgotten to hit "send" - now a bit outdated, but still useful...]

Hi RB,

I really appreciate the spec file ... but it also creates a bit of a problem for me ;) Let me elaborate: I have stayed away from doing spec files, mostly because I can not ensure they are kept up to date. For that reason, nothing distro-specific is included in the "official source distribution".

If I now include the spec, it may outdate over time plus people come and ask how to work with it, getting us probably down to distro-specific things. I am not sure we want this (or do we want it - I am open to change if there are folks in the community who can commit to support these things [aka "I can not" ;)].

Or is there any other place where such things could be placed (external RPM repositories come to my mind)? I would be more than happy to link to the relevant places.

Again, I really value the contribution, I just do not know how to handle it best.

Rainer

Re: RPM spec file [ In reply to ]
> I really appreciate the spec file ... but it also creates a bit of a problem for me ;) Let me elaborate: I have stayed away from doing spec files, mostly because I can not ensure they are kept up to date. For that reason, nothing distro-specific is included in the "official source distribution".

Understood; my posting was more for posterity than expecting you to
include it in your distribution. People looking for a package can
find it now and do with it as they please. Well, they could if
attachments were allowed through... :) My email to Michael should
help that.

> If I now include the spec, it may outdate over time plus people come and ask how to work with it, getting us probably down to distro-specific things. I am not sure we want this (or do we want it - I am open to change if there are folks in the community who can commit to support these things [aka "I can not" ;)].

As a small-time packager, I have to thank you for trying to remain
distro-agnostic. Few things are more frustrating than trying to
unravel some developer's flavor-specific compile+install+kitchen_sink
script just to get a piece of software packaged for mine. Much thanks
for staying with the standard autotools approach and letting the
distros sort out how they want to install your software.

RB
Re: RPM spec file [ In reply to ]
> script just to get a piece of software packaged for mine. Much thanks
> for staying with the standard autotools approach and letting the
> distros sort out how they want to install your software.

Praise should go to Peter Vrabec and Michael Biebl, which convinced me
of autotools and also greatly helped me setting things up in a useful
way ;)

Rainer