do it with docbook?

Many thanks in advance,
Rainer
docbook and math [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I don't have enough experience with docbook and math formulas but LaTeX
might be better for now unfortunatelly, I guess.

If you go with docbook, current dtd-based docbook (4.x) does not well
with MathML natively and you might have to convert math formula to some
formats of image somehow. There may be two choices.

1) write math formulas in LaTex and convert to images (EPS, PNG, ...)
2) write math formulas in MathML and convert to images (SVG, ...)

Here are some related links.

* http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/MathML.html
* http://www.grigoriev.ru/svgmath/
* http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/SVGimages.html

IIWM, I would choose 2) (mathml -> svg) and try svgmath.

Other random notes about MathML:

* OpenOffice.org-Math supports MathML output.

* Gecho based browsers (e.g. firefox) can display MathML docs.
* http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/authoring.html
* http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/fonts/ (MathML fonts)

* MathML has two ways to markup; contents markup and presentation
markup. MathMLc2p
(http://www.lri.fr/~pietriga/mathmlc2p/mathmlc2p.html) might
help if you have to transform from the former into the later.

- satoru