Mailing List Archive

Kernel facility & testing with logger command
Hello everyone,

I'm using rsyslog for the first time and before getting into its features I'm
doing some basic tests... This is a portion of what I have on my rsyslog.conf:

#KERN FACILITY
kern.=emerg /var/log/syslog/kern/00-emerg
kern.=alert /var/log/syslog/kern/01-alert
kern.=crit /var/log/syslog/kern/02-crit
kern.=err /var/log/syslog/kern/03-err
kern.=warning /var/log/syslog/kern/04-warning
kern.=notice /var/log/syslog/kern/05-notice
kern.=info /var/log/syslog/kern/06-info
kern.=debug /var/log/syslog/kern/07-debug

If I do any test with the logger command using the kern facility (and any
severity) I don't see my message on any of the above files. Example:

logger -p kern.debug "this is a test"

I tried all the other facilities and they all work fine. It's just the kern
facility.

What am I missing ? :)

Thanks in advance,
Jorge
Kernel facility & testing with logger command [ In reply to ]
Out of my head, 98% sure: logger (and/or sylsog() call and or imuxsock) does not permit to use the kernel facility. This is to prevent someone from pretending to be the kernel.

Rainer

Kernel facility & testing with logger command [ In reply to ]
Can you paste in your full rsyslog.conf? It's difficult to
troubleshoot without knowing how you're setup.

-HKS

Kernel facility & testing with logger command [ In reply to ]
Oh, and what your platform is.

-HKS