Mailing List Archive

Funky new BASE64 encoded mailpacks
Has anyone else noticed that there's new mailpacks going around with ZIP attachments that use some incredibly erratic
BASE64 encoding lines?

In short, here's a sample (line numbers added by me)

216 LNuTBdDALkinW2c9t0DgQ4FySdBgYIb1xoTgp0WTQ7wooO61g3SoYJAeis
217
218 DDhnbON3/8gqy4iMFQwiQjvYfR4rIbwNrf2lW+4D2IYUwekC86UL+LjlkvsDA9DzpJ+XOy5DBrFf
219 oy01rKw0fYC
220 kM7fCpRLBCXINt3OENViJtn2nRqRGDe0PBttiYbkMQQLaVnzjsx3IvGjJX
221 x
222 EPnsFe

So, in short, this sort of encoding breaks quite a couple of decoding assumptions,
1 - base64 lines are constant width (except for the last),
2 - there will be no blank lines in the data
3 - a blank line indicates the end of the data stream

I know that my Sylpheed MUA saves a zero-byte file if I try to save the attachments.

ripMIME appears to be immune to the first item (varying widths) but I am in the process now of checking about the
blank-line issues.

Just thought I'd warn you all.

Paul.

--
Paul L Daniels - PLD Software - Xamime
Unix systems Internet Development A.B.N. 19 500 721 806

Funky new BASE64 encoded mailpacks [ In reply to ]
I've found that a double-blank-line BASE64 section can still be interpreted by Outlook Express... just our luck :-\

(Sylpheed complains that the data is corrupted BASE64).

Gotta love Microsoft for doing it's very best to ensure that it decodes _everything_.

Hope to have this resolved in about 2 hours.

Paul.