Mailing List Archive

Recursion on a non-MIME message?
I have ripMIME setup in an Exim local_scan script to unpack messages and
virus scan them. However, with a number of messages I am getting the
following message back from it:

mime.c:2666:MIME_unpack_stage2:WARNING: Current recursion level of 21 is
greater than permitted 20

I am not sure what to do here as the messages don't actually appear to be
MIME encoded, even though they do have MIME headers.

From the headers of said message:

054 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.5.6944.0
043 Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
018 MIME-Version: 1.0
046 Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="us-ascii"
044 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

The body is an HP/UX security advisory that is PGP signed but has no
apparent MIME content. I do not want to post it here as it is quite
large.

The odd thing about this is that it was received into my first mailserver
which uses the same setup without issue, this MTA passes on messages to
the second which is failing. However, on the MTA that successfully
received it I am using ripMIME v1.3.0.4 whereas on the one that is
apparently failing it is version v1.3.1.1. The first comes from Gentoo
portage, the second from a Debian package.

Did anything change between these versions that would cause this? Or can
I somehow fix it? I have taken a glance at the source and it seems that
even if the maximum recursion level were raised the problem would still
exist as ripMIME would go forever looking for the MIME content when there
isn't any.

Thanks,

David
Re: Recursion on a non-MIME message? [ In reply to ]
Hello David,

> mime.c:2666:MIME_unpack_stage2:WARNING: Current recursion level of 21 is
> greater than permitted 20

Yes, this happens now because I put a recursion limit into ripMIME to prevent potential malicious attacks, ie blowing up
stacks by having a massively recursed MIME email.

> Did anything change between these versions that would cause this? Or can
> I somehow fix it? I have taken a glance at the source and it seems that

You can try turning off the qmail-bounce detection.

This really is an unfortunate case of ripMIME breaking things because of other MUA's (such as outlook) failing to be
sensible about email reading.

Try with the --disable-qmail-bounce, or with --no-ole

Regards.

--
Paul L Daniels - PLD Software - Xamime
Unix systems Internet Development A.B.N. 19 500 721 806
Re: Recursion on a non-MIME message? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 27 May 2004 10:19, Paul L Daniels wrote:
> > mime.c:2666:MIME_unpack_stage2:WARNING: Current recursion level of 21
> > is greater than permitted 20
> Yes, this happens now because I put a recursion limit into ripMIME to
> prevent potential malicious attacks, ie blowing up stacks by having a
> massively recursed MIME email.
> > Did anything change between these versions that would cause this? Or
> > can I somehow fix it? I have taken a glance at the source and it
> > seems that
> You can try turning off the qmail-bounce detection.

That seemed to do it.

> This really is an unfortunate case of ripMIME breaking things because
> of other MUA's (such as outlook) failing to be sensible about email
> reading.

In this case it seemed to be an Exchange issue, perhaps the MTA adding the
headers because they weren't present.

> Try with the --disable-qmail-bounce, or with --no-ole

Using --no-ole on its own was of no help but both together fixed the
issue. I have now removed the --no-ole option and will see if any more
mails get caught up in the same way, I'd rather leave OLE unpacking on in
the longer run even if I have to use --disable-qmail-bounce.

Thank you for the speedy response,

David