Mailing List Archive

RancidSVN: New Repository Location
***SUPPORT DISCLAIMER***
RancidSVN is NOT AFFILIATED WITH NOR SUPPORTED BY THE RANCID TEAM.
Please do not contact them about issues related to RancidSVN. They won't
help you. Maybe in the future my integrated version may be merged into
the RANCID code, but until such time it is not supported by them.
***END DISCLAIMER***

I've gotten quite a few emails on the status of my RancidSVN project.

It is quite alive and well. I'm working on a version that integrates
with 2.3.1 and allows the option of using either subversion or CVS as
your backend, but that version is still highly experimental and I'm not
releasing public versions at this time.

The original RancidSVN is fully available however. It is a drop-in
replacement for RANCID can be viewed or checked out via Subversion at
http://svn.dastylinrastan.com/rastan/rancidSVN.

To obtain the source, use the following command or a Subversion Client:

# svn export http://svn.dastylinrastan.com/rastan/rancidSVN
<destinationpath>

And compile just like RANCID.

If you already have the RANCID 2.3.1 sources, a patch can be downloaded
here:

http://svn.dastylinrastan.com/rastan/rancidSVN/RancidSVN-2.3.1.patch

This patch is applied with patch -p1.

The drop-in replacement works *exactly* like the CVS-based rancid. You
use the exact same commands (including rancid-cvs to create a
repository), but everything behind the scenes is done in Subversion
instead of CVS.

While I would still classify this release as beta, I've been running
several systems using it for about 6 months and haven't come across any
issues.

***BIG HUGE GINORMOUS DISCLAIMER***
Do NOT try to use with an existing RANCID CVS repository. It will not
convert your repository over. While it probably won't cause any damage,
it will make your CVS repository look messy. You should, however, be
able to convert an existing repository over with cvs2svn, and it should
work just fine (thats what I did with mine).
***END DISCLAIMER***

Only locally-hosted subversion repositories are supported
out-of-the-box. (i.e. accessible via file://). This is primarily to
retain compatibility with the existing rancid configuration files. You
can easily modify it to work with http, svn, svn+ssh, and all other
subversion targets.

If you have any problems, feel free to contact me and I'll do my best to
help :).

__________________________
Justin Grote
Network Architect
JWG Networks
RancidSVN: New Repository Location [ In reply to ]
I really will get to your patch at some point. Lack of spare time; dont
take my silence as non-interest. Your effort is appreciated.

Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 04:52:19PM -0700, Justin Grote:
RancidSVN: New Repository Location [ In reply to ]
john heasley wrote:

>I really will get to your patch at some point. Lack of spare time; dont
>take my silence as non-interest. Your effort is appreciated.

No problem whatsoever. I didn't mean at all for that comment to come off
as a stab against you guys, but upon a second reading I see how it could
be interpreted that way. I have the utmost respect for the project and I
just didn't want to hamper development for my quick hack, it was just
something that I wanted and some other people had interest in :).

Don't worry about validating the drop-in replacement for inclusion, it's
too intrusive to your current source. When I get my integrated version
done that offers Subversion as an option rather than mandatory, I'll
send it over. I've been doing my best to follow your coding conventions
and styles, so it's not too intrusive. You guys also did such an
excellent job of separating the collector and repository code that I
don't even have to touch the collector code and router profiles, just
the repository code.

I'd say the best benefit to this has been the ability to commit via http
and svn+ssh://. In larger deployments, I have RancidSVN running at each
site, and they all commit to a central repository (each site being a
subdirectory), giving a centralized view of the entire network. The
low-cost svn copy is real nice to take snapshots of the network, plus
all the other great stuff about Subversion (such as directory version
control).

Keep up the great work!

Justin Grote
Network Architect