Mailing List Archive

CatOS problem
Seems like other than me have problems with CatOS devices.
From my sniffer traces it looks like all the dots after issuing the "write term" command confuses the script.
The final "exit" command is issued after a number of dots.
On an IOS device where everything works, the "exit" command is only issued after the output of the command is finished.

I have 47 CatOS devicesi (cat5500, Cat400?, and Cat650?), none of which works.

All 66 IOS devices, including PIX'es work.

I also have an altheon device working nicely.

Best regards,
Soren Hansen
CatOS Problem [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I've got a Cisco network of 1900s (haven't dealt with yet), IOS and CatOS.
I've got all the IOS and CatOS devices in a single router.db file. The
manufacturer entry is set for each to either 'cisco' or 'cat5' as
appropriate. The problem that I'm having is that while all of the IOS
devices have their config pulled without issue, none of the CatOS devices
do.

I have successfully logged into and run commands on the CatOS devices by
using 'clogin' and specifying the hostname and commands. When I use
'rancid-run' I get the following error message (or similar) in the logs for
each of the devices:

"<hostname> clogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
<hostname>: missed cmd(s): write term all,show port ifindex,show module,dir
sup-microcode:,dir sup-bootflash:,dir bootflash:,dir slot0:,showversion,show
flash,write term,show boot,dir slot1:
<hostname>: End of run not found"

Can anyone point me in the right direction at least because while I realize
that the "End of run not found" is the bigger issue than the "missed cmd(s)"
(according to stuff I've read in the archives) I'm not really sure where I
should be looking.

Thanks,

Mark
CatOS problem [ In reply to ]
On 28.09.2004 14:13 Soren Hansen wrote:

> Seems like other than me have problems with CatOS devices.
>>From my sniffer traces it looks like all the dots after issuing the "write term" command confuses the script.
> The final "exit" command is issued after a number of dots.
> On an IOS device where everything works, the "exit" command is only issued after the output of the command is finished.
>
> I have 47 CatOS devicesi (cat5500, Cat400?, and Cat650?), none of which works.
>
> All 66 IOS devices, including PIX'es work.
>
> I also have an altheon device working nicely.

I have 3 CatOS devices (cat6509): all work
I have 7 IOS devices (cat2900, 2691, ...): all work

Arnold
CatOS problem [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 02:28:36PM +0200, Arnold Nipper wrote:
> On 28.09.2004 14:13 Soren Hansen wrote:
>
> > Seems like other than me have problems with CatOS devices.
> >>From my sniffer traces it looks like all the dots after issuing the "write term" command confuses the script.
> > The final "exit" command is issued after a number of dots.
> > On an IOS device where everything works, the "exit" command is only issued after the output of the command is finished.
> >
> > I have 47 CatOS devicesi (cat5500, Cat400?, and Cat650?), none of which works.
> >
> > All 66 IOS devices, including PIX'es work.
> >
> > I also have an altheon device working nicely.
> >

> I have 3 CatOS devices (cat6509): all work
> I have 7 IOS devices (cat2900, 2691, ...): all work
>

> Arnold

I use FreeBSD 4.9 and rancid-2.3_1 from ports. I believe I "lost" the switches in an unintended upgrade of rancid from 2.2.something.

/Soren
CatOS problem [ In reply to ]
Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 02:40:22PM +0200, Soren Hansen:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 02:28:36PM +0200, Arnold Nipper wrote:
> > On 28.09.2004 14:13 Soren Hansen wrote:
> >
> > > Seems like other than me have problems with CatOS devices.
> > > The final "exit" command is issued after a number of dots.
> > > On an IOS device where everything works, the "exit" command is only issued after the output of the command is finished.
> > >
> > > I have 47 CatOS devicesi (cat5500, Cat400?, and Cat650?), none of which works.
> > >
> > > All 66 IOS devices, including PIX'es work.
> > >
> > > I also have an altheon device working nicely.
> > >

> > I have 3 CatOS devices (cat6509): all work
> > I have 7 IOS devices (cat2900, 2691, ...): all work
> >

> > Arnold
> >

> I use FreeBSD 4.9 and rancid-2.3_1 from ports. I believe I "lost" the switches in an unintended upgrade of rancid from 2.2.something.

Could you run
% setenv NOPIPE YES
% cat5rancid -d hostname

and send the hostname.raw file to me?

[please do not use a MUA that auto-wraps lines]
CatOS problem [ In reply to ]

> I use FreeBSD 4.9 and rancid-2.3_1 from ports. I believe I "lost" the switches in an unintended upgrade of rancid from 2.2.something.
>
> /Soren

I have several hundred IOS devices, some redbacks,and a few dozen PiXen,
all of those are fine. My 40 or so CatOS devices (mainly 6509s, and a
mix of SUP2 Cat4k and Cat5k) are the ones with issues.

2.x to 2.3rc1 broke 1760s. 2.3rc1 -> 2.3.1 fixed the 1760s, but broke
all CatOS devices. This is a FreeBSD system, and 2.3.1 is from the
ports tree.

The IO error happens on the final command, I can reverse the run order
of write term all and write term and it still happens the same.

It *looks* like rancid errors when things exit early (by rancids idea)
Seems to do a double logout (?exit then quit?), and error out when the
switch logs it out on the first command. All commands run find on the
switch (it is *after* write term all runs, when it issues an "exit\r"
that things die.

Christopher E. Brown <chris.brown at acsalaska.net> desk (907) 273-6893
cell (907) 632-8492
IP Engineer III - ACS
CatOS Problem [ In reply to ]
I noticed that for whatever reason there is an issue with prompt parsing
on CatOS devices.

I had to set login/enable passwords and autoenable = 0 in cloginrc for
my Cat)S devices.

CatOS Problem [ In reply to ]
I tried your suggestion re autoenable ...

ferret# less .cloginrc
add autoenable c55k-2 0
add password c55k-1 userpass enablepass
add password c55k-2 userpass enablepass
add password c55k-3 userpass enablepass

But, it's still doing the same thing , since the upgrade to 2.3.1
it works for the first cat (c55k-1) , then chokes on the second and third.

Trying to get all of the configs.
write(spawn_id=3): I/O error
while executing
"send "exit\r""
invoked from within
"expect -nobrace -re {^[^
^M *]*c55k2> \(enable\)} {
etc.. as previously advised..

darren

--
Darren Kruse
Network Operations Centre
CatOS Problem [ In reply to ]
Could you all please try this version of clogin.in?
ftp://ftp.shrubbery.net/pub/rancid/clogin.in

I believe Christopher (in a private email) hit on the bug that is triggering
at least some of these issues. It was fixed, but we've have not been able
release a 2.3.2.

Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 11:47:18AM +0930, darren kruse:

CatOS Problem [ In reply to ]
John
thanks !! - works for me ...

%less coreswitches.20041005.101429
starting: Tue Oct 5 10:14:29 CST 2004
Trying to get all of the configs.
All routers sucessfully completed.
cvs diff: Diffing .
cvs diff: Diffing configs
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs commit: Examining configs
Checking in configs/c55k-2;
/usr/local/rancid/var/CVS/coreswitches/configs/c55k-2,v <-- c55k-2
done
Checking in configs/c55k-3;
/usr/local/rancid/var/CVS/coreswitches/configs/c55k-3,v <-- c55k-3
done
ending: Tue Oct 5 10:15:17 CST 2004

I had been running clogin v.177, I'm now running..

%less /usr/local/libexec/rancid/clogin
## $Id: clogin.in,v 1.79 2004/05/27 21:57:52 heas

cheers,
darren.

CatOS Problem [ In reply to ]
Worked like a charm for me too. Thanks.

_____

CatOS Problem [ In reply to ]
Hi John,
Works for me as well.
As far as I can tell, all devices were updated as a consequence of basing the saved configuration on "write term all" instead of "write term". This is fine by me.

Thank you both for your effort.

/Soren

CatOS Problem [ In reply to ]
Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 11:38:26PM +0200, Soren Hansen:
> Hi John,
> Works for me as well.
> As far as I can tell, all devices were updated as a consequence of basing the saved configuration on "write term all" instead of "write term". This is fine by me.

rancid should only use the 'write term' output if 'write term all' fails.
not all CatOS versions support 'all', esp. the older models.

CatOS Problem [ In reply to ]
john heasley wrote:
> Could you all please try this version of clogin.in?
> ftp://ftp.shrubbery.net/pub/rancid/clogin.in
>
> I believe Christopher (in a private email) hit on the bug that is triggering
> at least some of these issues. It was fixed, but we've have not been able
> release a 2.3.2.

Looks like it is working for me as well.

(That is, testing seemed fine, I will *know* in about 30min when the
next run tries to read 40something CatOS devices.)

CatOS Problem [ In reply to ]
Well, on all my CatOS boxes I only had the output from "write term" in CVS. With the update, I now have the output from "write term all". No changes in CatOS recently.
I'll probably change the intervals for retrieving end user access switch configurations now, as I keep getting mails when users come and go, because of the spanning tree port cost changes.

/Soren

CatOS Problem [ In reply to ]
Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 05:12:20PM +0200, Soren Hansen:
> Well, on all my CatOS boxes I only had the output from "write term" in CVS. With the update, I now have the output from "write term all". No changes in CatOS recently.
> I'll probably change the intervals for retrieving end user access switch configurations now, as I keep getting mails when users come and go, because of the spanning tree port cost changes.

In theory, you should not run spanning tree on access ports, only trunk ports;
ie: should which connect to another switch. And, if there are no forwarding
loops in your switch topology, dont run it at all.

CatOS Problem [ In reply to ]
john heasley wrote:
> Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 05:12:20PM +0200, Soren Hansen:
>
>> Well, on all my CatOS boxes I only had the output from "write term"
>> in CVS. With the update, I now have the output from "write term
>> all". No changes in CatOS recently. I'll probably change the
>> intervals for retrieving end user access switch configurations now,
>> as I keep getting mails when users come and go, because of the
>> spanning tree port cost changes.
>

> In theory, you should not run spanning tree on access ports, only
> trunk ports; ie: should which connect to another switch. And, if
> there are no forwarding loops in your switch topology, dont run it at
> all.

Even if spanning tree is shut down things like port costs are still
tracked by CatOS. And they change on up/down or rate change.

An example of something we see many times daily (and YES, spanning tree
is shutdown on this switch.

Index: configs/xxxxxx
retrieving revision 1.842
diff -u -4 -r1.13 xxxxxxxx
@@ -1419,10 +1419,10 @@
set spantree portinstancepri 8/45 0 mst
set spantree portinstancepri 8/46 0 mst
set spantree portinstancepri 8/47 0 mst
set spantree portinstancepri 8/48 0 mst
- set spantree portcost 8/1,8/3-4,8/10,8/31-48 200000 mst
- set spantree portcost 8/2,8/5-9,8/11-30 2000000 mst
+ set spantree portcost 8/1,8/3-4,8/31-48 200000 mst
+ set spantree portcost 8/2,8/5-30 2000000 mst
set spantree portinstancecost 8/1 cost 199999 mst
set spantree portinstancecost 8/2 cost 1999999 mst
set spantree portinstancecost 8/3 cost 199999 mst
set spantree portinstancecost 8/4 cost 199999 mst
@@ -1430,9 +1430,9 @@
set spantree portinstancecost 8/6 cost 1999999 mst
set spantree portinstancecost 8/7 cost 1999999 mst
set spantree portinstancecost 8/8 cost 1999999 mst
set spantree portinstancecost 8/9 cost 1999999 mst
- set spantree portinstancecost 8/10 cost 199999 mst
+ set spantree portinstancecost 8/10 cost 1999999 mst
set spantree portinstancecost 8/11 cost 1999999 mst
set spantree portinstancecost 8/12 cost 1999999 mst
set spantree portinstancecost 8/13 cost 1999999 mst
set spantree portinstancecost 8/14 cost 1999999 mst
@@ -1469,10 +1469,10 @@
set spantree portinstancecost 8/45 cost 199999 mst
set spantree portinstancecost 8/46 cost 199999 mst
set spantree portinstancecost 8/47 cost 199999 mst
set spantree portinstancecost 8/48 cost 199999 mst
- set spantree portcost 8/1,8/3-4,8/10,8/31-48 19
- set spantree portcost 8/2,8/5-9,8/11-30 100
+ set spantree portcost 8/1,8/3-4,8/31-48 19
+ set spantree portcost 8/2,8/5-30 100
set spantree portpri 8/1-48 32
set spantree portvlanpri 8/1 0
set spantree portvlanpri 8/2 0
set spantree portvlanpri 8/3 0
@@ -1529,9 +1529,9 @@
set spantree portvlancost 8/6 cost 99
set spantree portvlancost 8/7 cost 99
set spantree portvlancost 8/8 cost 99
set spantree portvlancost 8/9 cost 99
- set spantree portvlancost 8/10 cost 18
+ set spantree portvlancost 8/10 cost 99
set spantree portvlancost 8/11 cost 99
set spantree portvlancost 8/12 cost 99
set spantree portvlancost 8/13 cost 99
set spantree portvlancost 8/14 cost 99

CatOS Problem [ In reply to ]
Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 01:29:13PM -0800, Christopher E. Brown:
> john heasley wrote:
> >Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 05:12:20PM +0200, Soren Hansen:
> >
> >>Well, on all my CatOS boxes I only had the output from "write term"
> >>in CVS. With the update, I now have the output from "write term
> >>all". No changes in CatOS recently. I'll probably change the
> >>intervals for retrieving end user access switch configurations now,
> >>as I keep getting mails when users come and go, because of the
> >>spanning tree port cost changes.
> >

> >In theory, you should not run spanning tree on access ports, only
> >trunk ports; ie: should which connect to another switch. And, if
> >there are no forwarding loops in your switch topology, dont run it at
> >all.
>

> Even if spanning tree is shut down things like port costs are still
> tracked by CatOS. And they change on up/down or rate change.
>
> An example of something we see many times daily (and YES, spanning tree
> is shutdown on this switch.
>

> Index: configs/xxxxxx
> retrieving revision 1.842
> diff -u -4 -r1.13 xxxxxxxx
> @@ -1419,10 +1419,10 @@
> set spantree portinstancepri 8/45 0 mst
> set spantree portinstancepri 8/46 0 mst
> set spantree portinstancepri 8/47 0 mst
> set spantree portinstancepri 8/48 0 mst
> - set spantree portcost 8/1,8/3-4,8/10,8/31-48 200000 mst
> - set spantree portcost 8/2,8/5-9,8/11-30 2000000 mst
> + set spantree portcost 8/1,8/3-4,8/31-48 200000 mst
> + set spantree portcost 8/2,8/5-30 2000000 mst
> set spantree portinstancecost 8/1 cost 199999 mst
> set spantree portinstancecost 8/2 cost 1999999 mst
> set spantree portinstancecost 8/3 cost 199999 mst
> set spantree portinstancecost 8/4 cost 199999 mst
> @@ -1430,9 +1430,9 @@

bizarre. whats the point? is there some other process that makes
use of these values?

makes you wish juniper made switches.