seq number in cisco prefix-list
Any reason why seq number in prefix-list is stipped out ?

I changed my copy of rancid to include the seq number. I'm wondering what the reasoning
behind the removal was.

$ diff rancid rancid.orig
995c995
< ProcessHistory("PACL $1 $3","ipsort","$4","ip prefix-list $1 seq $2 $3 $4$5\n")
---
> ProcessHistory("PACL $1 $3","ipsort","$4","ip prefix-list $1 $3 $4$5\n")

Thanks,
Rafi.
seq number in cisco prefix-list [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 10:55:07AM -0700, Mazlumyan, Rafi wrote:
> Any reason why seq number in prefix-list is stipped out ?

Say you have a 101 line prefix-list & you add a new entry as the
1st entry. The prefix-list gets renumbered, and, if rancid kept
the seq number, then the diff would be the entire list. We deleted
the seq number so that the diff would be just the one new line.
--asp
seq number in cisco prefix-list [ In reply to ]
On (09/07/04 16:58), Yuval Ben-Ari wrote:

> I also find it undesired and also disabled it.
> this makes the rancid config be different from the router config
>
> forgive my ignorance but what renumbering are you refering to ?
>
> Router(config)#do sh ip prefix-list TEST
> ip prefix-list TEST: 4 entries
> seq 1 permit 5.0.0.0/8
> seq 5 permit 10.0.0.0/8
> seq 10 permit 20.0.0.0/8
> seq 15 permit 30.0.0.0/8
> Router(config)#

when you insert a rule between/before an existing rule, then the
sequence numbers of the rules don't change...but if you renumber so
that the rules are always 5 apart, then a portion of the list would
change (this is likely the case for people who automagically generate
their filters)
ex:
seq 5 permit 10.0.0.0/8
seq 10 permit 20.0.0.0/8
seq 15 permit 30.0.0.0/8
becomes:
seq 5 permit 2.0.0.0/8
seq 10 permit 10.0.0.0/8
seq 15 permit 20.0.0.0/8
seq 20 permit 30.0.0.0/8
so in this case rancid will send you a longer list of changes (since
technically the entire prefix list changed)

/joshua
fools.
- Douglas Adams -
seq number in cisco prefix-list [ In reply to ]
I also find it undesired and also disabled it.
this makes the rancid config be different from the router config

forgive my ignorance but what renumbering are you refering to ?

Router(config)#ip prefix-list TEST permit 10.0.0.0/8
Router(config)#ip prefix-list TEST permit 20.0.0.0/8
Router(config)#ip prefix-list TEST permit 30.0.0.0/8
Router(config)#
Router(config)#do sh ip prefix-list TEST
ip prefix-list TEST: 3 entries
seq 5 permit 10.0.0.0/8
seq 10 permit 20.0.0.0/8
seq 15 permit 30.0.0.0/8
Router(config)#ip prefix-list TEST seq 1 permit 5.0.0.0/8

seq number in cisco prefix-list [ In reply to ]
> when you insert a rule between/before an existing rule, then the
> sequence numbers of the rules don't change...but if you renumber so
> that the rules are always 5 apart, then a portion of the list would
> change (this is likely the case for people who automagically generate
> their filters)
> ex:
> seq 5 permit 10.0.0.0/8
> seq 10 permit 20.0.0.0/8
> seq 15 permit 30.0.0.0/8
> becomes:
> seq 5 permit 2.0.0.0/8
> seq 10 permit 10.0.0.0/8
> seq 15 permit 20.0.0.0/8
> seq 20 permit 30.0.0.0/8
> so in this case rancid will send you a longer list of changes (since
> technically the entire prefix list changed)

I see, we do it manually so no change in sequencing.
I think it will be useful to have this as a configurable behavior in
future release

seq number in cisco prefix-list [ In reply to ]
--On Saturday, July 10, 2004 10:55:22 PM +0200 Yuval Ben-Ari
<yuvalba at netvision.net.il> wrote:

>> when you insert a rule between/before an existing rule, then the
>> sequence numbers of the rules don't change...but if you renumber so
>> that the rules are always 5 apart, then a portion of the list would
>> change (this is likely the case for people who automagically generate
>> their filters)
>> ex:
>> seq 5 permit 10.0.0.0/8
>> seq 10 permit 20.0.0.0/8
>> seq 15 permit 30.0.0.0/8
>> becomes:
>> seq 5 permit 2.0.0.0/8
>> seq 10 permit 10.0.0.0/8
>> seq 15 permit 20.0.0.0/8
>> seq 20 permit 30.0.0.0/8
>> so in this case rancid will send you a longer list of changes (since
>> technically the entire prefix list changed)
>
> I see, we do it manually so no change in sequencing.
> I think it will be useful to have this as a configurable behavior in
> future release

I second that request. We also do it manually.

Cheers,
Rafi.