From: rancid@mars.resultstel.com
Subject: [netops] switches router config diffs
Date: 5 Apr 2004 16:02:14 -0000
Size: 6216
[Fwd: [netops] switches router config diffs] [ In reply to ]
> I'm getting a lot of these on my Cisco Catalyst 2950 during every single
> rancid-run update. These are worthless diffs as there aren't any
> changes in configuration but changes in port status.

I know this one 8-)

I bet you have people accessing the switches with different terminal
width settings in their terminal programs. The VTY picks this up as part
of telnet option negotiations. Since RANCID is a non-interactive session
to the switch, it doesn't negotiate width.

Try this patch for clogin (you'll probably need to apply it manually):

*** clogin_orig Fri Aug 9 16:54:10 2002
--- clogin Sun Apr 6 19:20:42 2003
***************
*** 455,460 ****
--- 455,462 ----
send "set length 0\r"
} else {
send "term length 0\r"
+ expect -re $prompt {}
+ send "term width 80\r"
}
regsub -all "\[)(]" $prompt {\\&} reprompt
# match cisco config mode prompts too, but not for catalyst ie: (enable)
***************
*** 699,704 ****
--- 701,708 ----
send "set logging session disable\r"