32187 ? S 0:00 /bin/sh /apps/rancid/bin/do-diffs
32191 ? S 0:00 /bin/sh /apps/rancid/bin/control_rancid distribution

Has anyone else encountered this, if so what was done to rectify......

--thanks
--
____________________________________
Ron Seguin Bell Canada
Tel: 613.781.2555
a couple RANCID processes hanging..... [ In reply to ]
No telnet processes....but I also noticed I have the following RANCID process
running as well....

28739 ? S 0:00 cvs commit -m updates

--
____________________________________
Ron Seguin Bell Canada
a couple RANCID processes hanging..... [ In reply to ]
Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 04:10:28PM -0400, SEGUIN, RONALD:
> Just recently I'm having the following processes hang....I then have to kill them manually....
>
> 32187 ? S 0:00 /bin/sh /apps/rancid/bin/do-diffs
> 32191 ? S 0:00 /bin/sh /apps/rancid/bin/control_rancid distribution
>
> Has anyone else encountered this, if so what was done to rectify......
>
> --thanks
> --
> ____________________________________
> Ron Seguin Bell Canada
> Tel: 613.781.2555

most likely you have expect processes lingering that are connected with
this control_rancid. the actual problem could be a number of things.
if using linux, see the expect patch on www.shrubbery.net/rancid. else,
try following trail of child processes from the control_rancid.

its probably expect.
a couple RANCID processes hanging..... [ In reply to ]
Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 06:18:10PM -0400, SEGUIN, RONALD:
> No telnet processes....but I also noticed I have the following RANCID process
> running as well....
>
> 28739 ? S 0:00 cvs commit -m updates

that's one i've never seen before! my guess would be that you ended up
with a stale lock in the cvs repository and it's waiting for the lock
to be freed. see the cvs manpage for info on it's lock files.

the other possibility is that it's waiting for input of some kind (which
i doubt), but you should be able to kill that process and it's output
should appear in that rancid group's log file.
a couple RANCID processes hanging..... [ In reply to ]
I've deleted the following file dated Apr 6 within one of my CVS
directories...will find out during tomorrow's run if it fixed my problem...

-rw-r----- 1 rancid root 0 Apr 6 22:30 #cvs.rfl.kramer.28342