Mailing List Archive

parts of config missing, then back
I've noticed an occasional bug, where for some reason rancid will lose
large parts of a config (seems to only happen on Cisco AS5200's so far).
Eventually, the missing config (or parts of it) comes back. i.e.

In the past couple of runs for one particular 5248, first 70 lines of
config vanish (everything in interface Ethernet0 other than the interface
name, most of interface Virtual-Template1, and the entire sections for
interfaces serial0, serial1, serial0:23, and serial1:23). Some number of
runs later, the serial interfaces return, but the missing config data from
Ethernet0 and Virtual-Template1 are still gone. I'm running do-diffs
hourly, so somehow the same incomplete config is downloaded multiple times
before returning to normal.

Anyone seen this before?

Revision 1.4 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs], Thu Nov 14
05:15:36 2002 UTC (16 minutes, 31 seconds ago) by rancid
Branch: MAIN
CVS Tags: HEAD
Changes since 1.3: +42 -0 lines
Diff to previous 1.3 (colored)

Revision 1.3 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs], Thu Nov 14
02:16:12 2002 UTC (3 hours, 15 minutes ago) by rancid
Branch: MAIN
Changes since 1.2: +0 -70 lines
Diff to previous 1.2 (colored)

Jon Lewis *jlewis at lewis.org*| I route
System Administrator | therefore you are
Atlantic Net |
parts of config missing, then back [ In reply to ]
i've seen boxes that ommit their configs at random. usually related
to memory shortage.

if you cant get it to do it manually, i'd suggest setting NOPIPE=YES
in bin/env and add a cronjob that copies the 5200_hostname.raw file
to a separate_dir/5200_hostname.raw.time. so you can verify that its
not (or is) rancid or the box. and you can prove it to cisco :)

Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 12:44:49AM -0500, jlewis at lewis.org:

parts of config missing, then back [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, john heasley wrote:

> i've seen boxes that ommit their configs at random. usually related
> to memory shortage.

That would be it. Good old MS IOS leaking memory.

tampflxa-as-6>show mem
Head Total(b) Used(b) Free(b) Lowest(b) Largest(b)
Processor 99B04 7759100 7759060 40 0 40
I/O 20000000 4194304 3716388 477916 466180 128844