Mailing List Archive

juniper being silly
manually i can login just fine

% rancid/bin/jlogin -c 'show conf;show conf' psg1.psg.com
psg1.psg.com
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l rancid psg1.psg.com
RGnet / PSGnet / NSRC Bainbridge Island, WA USA
psg1.psg.com 2002.10.22-1 +1 206 780-0431 / 206 356 8341

Last login: Wed Oct 23 04:26:59 2002 from rip.psg.com^M
--- JUNOS 5.4R2.4 built 2002-09-11 01:27:32 UTC

rancid at psg1>

rancid at psg1> set cli complete-on-space off
Disabling complete-on-space

rancid at psg1> set cli screen-length 0
Screen length set to 0

rancid at psg1> show conf
groups {
statics {
routing-options {
rib <inet.*> {
static {
route 205.238.48.0/24 discard;
}
}
}
}
}
/* ------------------------------------------------------------------------
system configuration
*/
system {
host-name psg1;
domain-name psg.com;
no-redirects;
authentication-order password;
location {
country-code US;
postal-code 98110;
npa-nxx 206780;
latitude 47.6107864;
longitude -122.5752106;
altitude 20;
}
root-authentication {

but from the logs, i get

psg1.psg.com jlogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
psg1.psg.com: missed cmd(s): show chassis hardware detail,show chassis environment,show version,show chassis ssb,show chassis scb,show chassis sfm detail,show configuration,show chassis routing-engine,show chassis fpc detail,show chassis firmware,show chassis feb,show chassis clocks,show system boot-messages
psg1.psg.com: End of run not found
=====================================

and then sometimes it works.

randy
juniper being silly [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 09:32:13PM -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
> but from the logs, i get
> psg1.psg.com jlogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
> and then sometimes it works.

I only get these sorts of occaisional failures from old ciscos with
no longer adequate CPUs.

Or if routing is flapping. Or if name->IP mapping is hitting more
than one router. Or expands to multiple IP addrs some of which are
down. Or you have duplicate IP addrs.
--asp
juniper being silly [ In reply to ]
Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 01:20:29AM -0400, Andrew Partan:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 09:32:13PM -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
> > but from the logs, i get
> > psg1.psg.com jlogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
> > and then sometimes it works.
>
> I only get these sorts of occaisional failures from old ciscos with
> no longer adequate CPUs.
>
> Or if routing is flapping. Or if name->IP mapping is hitting more
> than one router. Or expands to multiple IP addrs some of which are
> down. Or you have duplicate IP addrs.
> --asp

try (or sh morale equiv)

setenv NOPIPE YES
jrancid -d psg1.psg.com

if you manage to get an instance where it fails, send the .raw file
to me.

from the error log, its getting as far as as "show chassis fpc detail"
and getting buggered somewhere in there, assuming the error point is
consistent.
juniper being silly [ In reply to ]
yes, always at the same place. see appended

and i succeed many many many times with the test you recommended

% env | grep PIPE
NOPIPE=YES
% jrancid -d psg1.psg.com
executing echo jlogin -c"show chassis clocks;show chassis environment;show chassis firmware;show chassis fpc detail;show chassis hardware detail;show chassis routing-engine;show chassis scb;show chassis sfm detail;show chassis ssb;show chassis feb;show system boot-messages;show version;show configuration" psg1.psg.com
executing echo jlogin -c"show chassis clocks;show chassis environment;show chassis firmware;show chassis fpc detail;show chassis hardware detail;show chassis routing-engine;show chassis scb;show chassis sfm detail;show chassis ssb;show chassis feb;show system boot-messages;show version;show configuration" psg1.psg.com
HIT COMMAND:rancid at psg1> show chassis clocks
In ShowChassisClocks: rancid at psg1> show chassis clocks
HIT COMMAND:rancid at psg1> show chassis environment
In ShowChassisEnvironment: rancid at psg1> show chassis environment
HIT COMMAND:rancid at psg1> show chassis firmware
In ShowChassisFirmware: rancid at psg1> show chassis firmware
HIT COMMAND:rancid at psg1> show chassis fpc detail
In ShowChassisFpcDetail: rancid at psg1> show chassis fpc detail
HIT COMMAND:rancid at psg1> show chassis hardware detail
In ShowChassisHardware: rancid at psg1> show chassis hardware detail
HIT COMMAND:rancid at psg1> show chassis routing-engine
In ShowChassisRoutingEngine: rancid at psg1> show chassis routing-engine
HIT COMMAND:rancid at psg1> show chassis scb
In ShowChassisSCB: rancid at psg1> show chassis scb
HIT COMMAND:rancid at psg1> show chassis sfm detail
In ShowChassisSCB: rancid at psg1> show chassis sfm detail
HIT COMMAND:rancid at psg1> show chassis ssb
In ShowChassisSCB: rancid at psg1> show chassis ssb
HIT COMMAND:rancid at psg1> show chassis feb
In ShowChassisSCB: rancid at psg1> show chassis feb
HIT COMMAND:rancid at psg1> show system boot-messages
In ShowSystemBootMessages: rancid at psg1> show system boot-messages
HIT COMMAND:rancid at psg1> show version
In ShowVersion: rancid at psg1> show version
HIT COMMAND:rancid at psg1> show configuration
In ShowConfiguration: rancid at psg1> show configuration
%

but it is six hours since i managed to snatch a copy of psg1's config :-(

randy

---

starting: Tue Oct 22 22:15:00 PDT 2002

Trying to get all of the configs.
#
psg1.psg.com jlogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
psg1.psg.com: missed cmd(s): show chassis hardware detail,show chassis environment,show version,show chassis ssb,show chassis scb,show chassis sfm detail,show configuration,show chassis routing-engine,show chassis fpc detail,show chassis firmware,show chassis feb,show chassis clocks,show system boot-messages
psg1.psg.com: End of run not found
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 1.
#
psg1.psg.com jlogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
psg1.psg.com: missed cmd(s): show chassis hardware detail,show chassis environment,show version,show chassis ssb,show chassis scb,show chassis sfm detail,show configuration,show chassis routing-engine,show chassis fpc detail,show chassis firmware,show chassis feb,show chassis clocks,show system boot-messages
psg1.psg.com: End of run not found
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 2.
#
psg1.psg.com jlogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
psg1.psg.com: missed cmd(s): show chassis hardware detail,show chassis environment,show version,show chassis ssb,show chassis scb,show chassis sfm detail,show configuration,show chassis routing-engine,show chassis fpc detail,show chassis firmware,show chassis feb,show chassis clocks,show system boot-messages
psg1.psg.com: End of run not found
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 3.
#
psg1.psg.com jlogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
psg1.psg.com: missed cmd(s): show chassis hardware detail,show chassis environment,show version,show chassis ssb,show chassis scb,show chassis sfm detail,show configuration,show chassis routing-engine,show chassis fpc detail,show chassis firmware,show chassis feb,show chassis clocks,show system boot-messages
psg1.psg.com: End of run not found
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 4.
#
psg1.psg.com jlogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
psg1.psg.com: missed cmd(s): show chassis hardware detail,show chassis environment,show version,show chassis ssb,show chassis scb,show chassis sfm detail,show configuration,show chassis routing-engine,show chassis fpc detail,show chassis firmware,show chassis feb,show chassis clocks,show system boot-messages
psg1.psg.com: End of run not found

cvs diff: Diffing .
cvs diff: Diffing configs
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs commit: Examining configs

ending: Tue Oct 22 22:25:03 PDT 2002
juniper being silly [ In reply to ]
hmm. now i suspect tcl or expect. try setting NOPIPE in bin/env and
letting the collection run.

Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 10:52:47PM -0700, Randy Bush:

juniper being silly [ In reply to ]
> hmm. now i suspect tcl or expect. try setting NOPIPE in bin/env and
> letting the collection run.

no change

randy
juniper being silly [ In reply to ]
Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 08:01:15AM -0700, Randy Bush:
> > hmm. now i suspect tcl or expect. try setting NOPIPE in bin/env and
> > letting the collection run.
>
> no change
>
> randy

stumped. possible solutions

1) set NOPIPE to YES in bin/eng and $debug to 1 in bin/jrancid and send
the .raw from the next failure.

2) give me access to the router

sorry; this one seems tricky.
juniper being silly [ In reply to ]
got it!

psg1.psg.com
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l rancid psg1.psg.com
RGnet / PSGnet / NSRC Bainbridge Island, WA USA
psg1.psg.com 2002.10.22-1 +1 206 780-0431 / 206 356 8341

Enter passphrase for key '/usr/home/randy/.ssh/id_dsa':
Error: TIMEOUT reached

the conf file says the user is rancid, but it is running from my
cron job, and i have a public key over there.

any way out of this one? i ain't putting my ssh passphrase in
an unencrypted text file anywhere. create a separate rancid user
i guess. pita.

randy
juniper being silly [ In reply to ]
Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 04:21:28PM -0700, Randy Bush:
> got it!
>
> psg1.psg.com
> spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l rancid psg1.psg.com
> RGnet / PSGnet / NSRC Bainbridge Island, WA USA
> psg1.psg.com 2002.10.22-1 +1 206 780-0431 / 206 356 8341
>
> Enter passphrase for key '/usr/home/randy/.ssh/id_dsa':
> Error: TIMEOUT reached
>
> the conf file says the user is rancid, but it is running from my
> cron job, and i have a public key over there.
>
> any way out of this one? i ain't putting my ssh passphrase in
> an unencrypted text file anywhere. create a separate rancid user
> i guess. pita.
>
> randy

cloginrc(5) cloginrc(5)
add identity <router name glob> {<ssh identity file path>}
May be used to specify an alternate identity file
for use with ssh(1). See ssh's -i option for
details.

Default: your default identity file. see ssh(1).