Network Engineer
CCNA

630-252-7431
cpoetzel at anl.gov
Changing a router name [ In reply to ]
Fri, May 03, 2002 at 03:01:21PM -0500, Poetzel, Christopher J.:
> Hello all,
>
> I have recently taken the rancid system at my employment and have a question
> for the group.
> We are going to be changing the names of a few of our routers that have been
> monitored with rancid for about 2 months.
> What I would like to do is to change the name but retain the previous 2
> month history for the routers.
> Has anyone attempted this or is they some easy way to do this that I am
> missing?
>
> The only thought I have had thus far is to rename the old routers base
> config and the routers cvs ,v file, then add the new
> router to .cloginrc and rerun rancid.

this is the _only_ way i know of to retain the history. afaik, cvs
provides no way to rename a file or remove/rename a directory. something
like

% echo "newname:type:up" >> <GROUP>/router.db
% cp -p <BASEDIR>/CVS/<GROUP>/configs/oldname,v \
<BASEDIR>/CVS/<GROUP>/configs/newname,v

rancid should do a cvs update before running, which will get the newname
file fromt he respository. when the name change is complete, remove the
old name from <GROUP>/router.db and let rancid clean-up.