Mailing List Archive

CVS checkout problems with cvsweb
Hello All,

I've set up RANCID before with no problems, but I'm
setting it up on a new box with the latest OS version (OS
X 10.4), and it is retrieving configs, but cvsweb gives
the following error when I click the "download" link to
retrive the config.

-------------
Error: Unexpected output from cvs co: cvs [checkout
aborted]: Absolute module reference invalid:
`/test/configs/cisco-core-6500-ssl.mycompany.com'
Check whether the directory
/opt/local/var/rancid/CVS/CVSROOT exists and the script
has write-access to the CVSROOT/history file if it exists.
The script needs to place lock files in the directory the
file is in as well.
-------------

CVS and CVS/CVSROOT exists, I changed permissions and file
ownership but nothing. I'm puzzled that it seems to say
`/test/configs/cisco-core-6500-ssl.mycompany.com' is an
"absolute module reference". The correct absolute path is
contained in the html link, pasted here:

http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/test/configs/cisco-core-6500-ssl.mycompany.com?rev=1.2&content-type=text/plain

My cvsweb.conf has:

%CVSROOT = (
'Development' => '/opt/local/var/rancid/CVS'
);

I've poked around but I don't know how to troubleshoot the
problem. Can someone tell me where to look for the
trouble?

Mark
CVS checkout problems with cvsweb [ In reply to ]
Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 04:45:33PM -0700, Netmanager:
> Hello All,
>
> I've set up RANCID before with no problems, but I'm
> setting it up on a new box with the latest OS version (OS
> X 10.4), and it is retrieving configs, but cvsweb gives
> the following error when I click the "download" link to
> retrive the config.
>
> -------------
> Error: Unexpected output from cvs co: cvs [checkout
> aborted]: Absolute module reference invalid:
> `/test/configs/cisco-core-6500-ssl.mycompany.com'
> Check whether the directory
> /opt/local/var/rancid/CVS/CVSROOT exists and the script
> has write-access to the CVSROOT/history file if it exists.
> The script needs to place lock files in the directory the
> file is in as well.
> -------------
>
> CVS and CVS/CVSROOT exists, I changed permissions and file
> ownership but nothing. I'm puzzled that it seems to say
> `/test/configs/cisco-core-6500-ssl.mycompany.com' is an
> "absolute module reference". The correct absolute path is
> contained in the html link, pasted here:
>
> http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/test/configs/cisco-core-6500-ssl.mycompany.com?rev=1.2&content-type=text/plain
>
> My cvsweb.conf has:
>
> %CVSROOT = (
> 'Development' => '/opt/local/var/rancid/CVS'

I dont think you want 'CVS' there. note, the v 3.0.5 has a different format
for this line; i dont know what you're using or whats most recent.
CVS checkout problems with cvsweb [ In reply to ]
> Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 04:45:33PM -0700, Netmanager:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I've set up RANCID before with no problems, but I'm
>> setting it up on a new box with the latest OS version
>>(OS
>> X 10.4), and it is retrieving configs, but cvsweb gives
>> the following error when I click the "download" link to
>> retrive the config.
>>
>> -------------
>> Error: Unexpected output from cvs co: cvs [checkout
>> aborted]: Absolute module reference invalid:
>> `/test/configs/cisco-core-6500-ssl.mycompany.com'
>> Check whether the directory
>> /opt/local/var/rancid/CVS/CVSROOT exists and the script
>> has write-access to the CVSROOT/history file if it
>>exists.
>> The script needs to place lock files in the directory
>>the
>> file is in as well.
>> -------------
>>
>> CVS and CVS/CVSROOT exists, I changed permissions and
>>file
>> ownership but nothing. I'm puzzled that it seems to say
>> `/test/configs/cisco-core-6500-ssl.mycompany.com' is an
>> "absolute module reference". The correct absolute path
>>is
>> contained in the html link, pasted here:
>>
>> http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/test/configs/cisco-core-6500-ssl.mycompany.com?rev=1.2&content-type=text/plain
>>
>> My cvsweb.conf has:
>>
>> %CVSROOT = (
>> 'Development' => '/opt/local/var/rancid/CVS'
>
> I dont think you want 'CVS' there. note, the v 3.0.5
>has a different format
> for this line; i dont know what you're using or whats
>most recent.

I was using an older version of cvsweb. I updated it to
3.0.5 and the problem vanished. It looks like I need
cvsweb 3.x for Apple's latest OS. Thanks.

Mark