Appreciate and Thanks

regards
simon
Re: Upgrading Rancid [ In reply to ]
Sun, Oct 29, 2023 at 05:48:11AM +0000, simon ben:
> Dear All,I have been running rancid for quite sometime an excellent toll and I need to upgrade
> current version is rancid 3.9need to upgrade to 3.13
> Appreciate your kind help and advice
> If any one can share a link explaining? upgrade procedure i really apprecite
>
> Upgrade read-me file not very clear
> Appreciate and Thanks

If you use the same arguments to configure as used for 3.9 (or your
package system has), then the new can just be installed over the
old.

Review the CHANGES file for changes to rancid.conf (and are labeled as
rancid.conf changes), which will not be overwritten or merged by the
install process.

LMK if you identify specfic confusion about the upgrading document. At
a glance, I do see that it needs some improvement and expunging of really
old version information.

Prost

Re: Upgrading Rancid [ In reply to ]
Dear Heasly,Thank you and really appreciate your quick reply.

Thanks and regards
Simon

Re: Upgrading Rancid [ In reply to ]
Dear All,
I did the following to upgrade rancid from rancid 3.9 to 3.13
downloaded the new tar file and unzip in /home/rancid/tar/rancid-3.13 and i try to run configure it gives me the below error
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/rancid
./configure: line 1912: config.log: Permission denied
./configure: line 1922: config.log: Permission denied
the permissions for the directory is as belowdrwxr-xr-x 8   7053 wheel    4096 Aug 23  2021 rancid-3.13
Appreciate  any advice and help
wondering where is the permission issue

Re: Upgrading Rancid [ In reply to ]
What operating system are you running? Some of them come with rancid pre-packaged and you can just install it. If your existing install is located in /usr/local, the package will generally not overwrite it. If you have existing /etc/rancid* files, you should save them first before installing the package, just in case.

Debian/Ubuntu:

apt install rancid

Fedora/EPEL (RHEL, CentOS, Rocky, etc.):

dnf install rancid

Others:

https://repology.org/project/rancid/versions

Re: Upgrading Rancid [ In reply to ]
Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 08:41:39AM +0000, simon ben:
> Dear All,
> I did the following to upgrade rancid from rancid 3.9 to 3.13
> downloaded the new tar file and unzip in /home/rancid/tar/rancid-3.13 and i try to run configure it gives me the below error
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/rancid
> ./configure: line 1912: config.log: Permission denied
> ./configure: line 1922: config.log: Permission denied
> the permissions for the directory is as belowdrwxr-xr-x 8?? 7053 wheel??? 4096 Aug 23? 2021 rancid-3.13

you extracted the tar file as root, which maintained the owner (uid 7053).
sudo chown -R <youruser> <the dir where configure is>