Jon Lewis | I route
Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are
Atlantic Net |
rancid email Precedence [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 08:46:02AM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
> A coworker recently moved our internal mailing lists from majordomo to
> ezmlm, and we stopped seeing our rancid email. It turns out, this is
> because ezmlm-weed /dev/null's messages with Precedence: (junk|bulk) in
> the header. Rancid puts Precedence: bulk in all its emails. Is there a
> reason it does that?

Rancid mail is not mail generated by a human, thus the Precedence
should be lower. I would change ezmlm's config or modify your copy
of rancid.
--asp at partan.com (Andrew Partan)
rancid email Precedence [ In reply to ]
Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 12:16:53PM -0400, Andrew Partan:
> On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 08:46:02AM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
> > A coworker recently moved our internal mailing lists from majordomo to
> > ezmlm, and we stopped seeing our rancid email. It turns out, this is
> > because ezmlm-weed /dev/null's messages with Precedence: (junk|bulk) in
> > the header. Rancid puts Precedence: bulk in all its emails. Is there a
> > reason it does that?
>
> Rancid mail is not mail generated by a human, thus the Precedence
> should be lower. I would change ezmlm's config or modify your copy
> of rancid.

Also note that, traditionally, vacation(1) responders ignore messages with
with these precedence types (and "list").
rancid email Precedence [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, john heasley wrote:

> > > A coworker recently moved our internal mailing lists from majordomo to
> > > ezmlm, and we stopped seeing our rancid email. It turns out, this is
> > > because ezmlm-weed /dev/null's messages with Precedence: (junk|bulk) in
> > > the header. Rancid puts Precedence: bulk in all its emails. Is there a
> > > reason it does that?
> >
> > Rancid mail is not mail generated by a human, thus the Precedence
> > should be lower. I would change ezmlm's config or modify your copy
> > of rancid.
>
> Also note that, traditionally, vacation(1) responders ignore messages with
> with these precedence types (and "list").

This is sort of a catch-22 though. The mailing list software is
configured to /dev/null Precedence: bulk, because other things that might
send junk mail to it would [ideally] use that precedence. rancid mail
isn't junk...and if we have someone stupid enough to setup a broken
vacation, I'll take care of it/them.

What if there were a config switch in rancid that could be turned off if
you plan to gateway it into a mailing list? Our current setup has rancid
emailing the various group aliases, which I was forwarding into our noc
mailing list...now I pipe them through formail to remove the Precedence:
bulk before forwarding to the list...that way I don't have to rely on
custom hacks to our copy of rancid.

rancid email Precedence [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 04:34:15PM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
[snip]
> This is sort of a catch-22 though. The mailing list software is
> configured to /dev/null Precedence: bulk, because other things that might
> send junk mail to it would [ideally] use that precedence. rancid mail
> isn't junk...and if we have someone stupid enough to setup a broken
> vacation, I'll take care of it/them.
>
> What if there were a config switch in rancid that could be turned off if
> you plan to gateway it into a mailing list? Our current setup has rancid
> emailing the various group aliases, which I was forwarding into our noc
> mailing list...now I pipe them through formail to remove the Precedence:
> bulk before forwarding to the list...that way I don't have to rely on
> custom hacks to our copy of rancid.

I would imagine most folks do send their mailed data to one or more
lists. We do. The right place to fix it is the mailing list software,
since it is a 'known set' of data coming from static sources. Which
is what it sounds like you did.

Cheers,

Joe

--
Joe Provo Voice 617.670.2904
Senior Manager, Internet Planning & Design Fax 617.670.2920
rancid email Precedence [ In reply to ]
Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 06:46:48AM -0400, Joe Provo:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 04:34:15PM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
> [snip]
> > This is sort of a catch-22 though. The mailing list software is
> > configured to /dev/null Precedence: bulk, because other things that might
> > send junk mail to it would [ideally] use that precedence. rancid mail
> > isn't junk...and if we have someone stupid enough to setup a broken
> > vacation, I'll take care of it/them.
> >
> > What if there were a config switch in rancid that could be turned off if
> > you plan to gateway it into a mailing list? Our current setup has rancid
> > emailing the various group aliases, which I was forwarding into our noc
> > mailing list...now I pipe them through formail to remove the Precedence:
> > bulk before forwarding to the list...that way I don't have to rely on
> > custom hacks to our copy of rancid.
>
> I would imagine most folks do send their mailed data to one or more
> lists. We do. The right place to fix it is the mailing list software,
> since it is a 'known set' of data coming from static sources. Which
> is what it sounds like you did.

I agree with joe, this seem broken.

however, how about a general mail_headers variable which could be used
not only to zero the default Precedence header but add other "tags" or
X- style headers?