is there a limitation of quagga to being a Router ?

i mean , what if a have a requirement to forward 20Gbps using BGP , can
quagga handle this ?
Re: quagga bandwidth perfermence limitation [ In reply to ]
Hi!

> is there a limitation of quagga to being a Router ?
>
> i mean , what if a have a requirement to forward 20Gbps using BGP , can
> quagga handle this ?

Quagga only maintains the routing info. The forwarding is normally
being done by the kernel of the unix box you run it on.

So the forwarding speed depends on the box and kernel, not
on quagga.

Where quagga comes to play is the time it takes quagga to process
changes to routing updates.

--
pi@opsec.eu +49 171 3101372 3 years to go !
Re: quagga bandwidth perfermence limitation [ In reply to ]
OK

i actually use GRE to establishs BGP connections , that means all
forwarding data will going in the GRE tunnel , what do you think of
this GRE perfermence limitation ?

? 2017/8/7 12:21, Kurt Jaeger ??:

Re: quagga bandwidth perfermence limitation [ In reply to ]
Hi!

> i actually use GRE to establishs BGP connections , that means all
> forwarding data will going in the GRE tunnel , what do you think of
> this GRE perfermence limitation ?

Depends on the kernel and cpu GHz rate used to process GRE.
What CPU is in use ? What kernel ? I assume that forwarding is
the limitation at 20 Gbit/s, not the GRE processing of the
BGP protocol.

The best way to find out is benchmarking with/without GRE,
if you have the additional spare boxes laying around 8-}

--
pi@opsec.eu +49 171 3101372 3 years to go !
Re: quagga bandwidth perfermence limitation [ In reply to ]
well , my quagga bgp stack , ospf stack will exit automatically in a
low rate . do you know what is going on ?

? 2017/8/7 12:40, Kurt Jaeger ??:

Re: quagga bandwidth perfermence limitation [ In reply to ]
Hi!

> well , my quagga bgp stack , ospf stack will exit automatically in a
> low rate . do you know what is going on ?

Come on, look around your bug report! That is not a valid bug report,
that is a joke! At least provide details about your setup!

--
pi@opsec.eu +49 171 3101372 3 years to go !
Re: quagga bandwidth perfermence limitation [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 07, 2017 at 11:59:26AM +0800, Goodman Leung wrote:
> is there a limitation of quagga to being a Router ?

Sure. It doesn't do it at all.

> i mean , what if a have a requirement to forward 20Gbps using BGP , can
> quagga handle this ?

BGP distributes routes, not traffic. Quagga does BGP and will happily
send and receive route info.

What the underlying OS does with those routes afterwards for forwarding
traffic is not quagga's problem, it's usually a kernel problem.

--
Len Sorensen
Re: quagga bandwidth perfermence limitation [ In reply to ]
but report ?

do you mean this email ?

?? 2017/8/8 12:01, Kurt Jaeger ???: