Mailing List Archive

Inactive routes in FIB even though next-hop is active
Hi

I am seeing an issue where there are a bunch of inactive routes in the FIB
even though the nexthop is active.

This is my setup:

R1 —— ibgp —— R2 —— ebgp -—- R3

R1 receives 10k routes from R3 via R2.

The routes point to R3 as the BGP NH

To resolve the nexthop, there is a static route on R1 for R3 with nh = R2
(Note: intentionally did not configure nh self on R2)

Here are the steps I did to run into an issue:

1. Clear all BGP routes on R1,
2. Quickly delete the static route pointing to R3 loopback and add it
back again, (repeatedly)
3. After sometime, notice that R1 has received all the 10k routes from
the R2.
4. ‘show ip route’ shows some of the routes are in inactive state.
5. The static route is active in ‘show ip route’

I see this error in the logs:

2017-01-25T01:53:21.140722+00:00 zebra[27840]: ERR tDR8270:netlink-cmd (vrf
0) error: Network is unreachable, type=RTM_NEWROUTE(24), seq=46468, pid=0

To recover from this situation, I delete and add the static configuration
again, once R1 has received all the routes from R2.

Any workaround/solution for this issue?

Thanks