Mailing List Archive

Quagga in centos7 repo old version
Just wondering why 0.99 is the version in the centos7 repo, when 1.1* is the latest?

Are there any yum repos with the latest versions?

Available Packages
quagga.i686 0.99.22.4-4.el7 base
quagga.x86_64 0.99.22.4-4.el7 base
Re: Quagga in centos7 repo old version [ In reply to ]
On 11/25/2016 01:26 AM, Damien Burke wrote:

> Just wondering why 0.99 is the version in the centos7 repo, when 1.1* is
> the latest?

Maybe the maintainer lags behind.

> Are there any yum repos with the latest versions?

Not that I am aware of. I build the releases from source which works
like a charm to be on the bleeding edge.

> Available Packages
>
> quagga.i686
> 0.99.22.4-4.el7 base
>
> quagga.x86_64
> 0.99.22.4-4.el7 base

Regards,

Timo

Re: Quagga in centos7 repo old version [ In reply to ]
On 2016-11-25 00:26:54 +0000, Damien Burke wrote:
> Just wondering why 0.99 is the version in the centos7 repo, when 1.1* is the
> latest?

Because RHEL 7 was released in 2014, when 0.99.something was the latest
version. CentOS is just repackaged RHEL.

Policy for most Linux distributions (certainly for an "Enterprise"
distribution like RHEL, which is supported for 10 years) is to backport
critical bug-fixes (including security-fixes) but not to upgrade to a
newer version.

If you want frequent updates, use a distribution with a more aggressive
update schedule. The closest to RHEL/Centos would probably be Fedora,
which has a release cycle of about 9 months, IIRC. I like Debian, which
has a release cycle of about 2 years for the stable distribution but
usually has newer versions of many packages in backports (which is safe
to mix) and (almost) always in testing (which may not always be safe).

> Are there any yum repos with the latest versions?

I don't know. Unfortunately, RPMforge passed away several years ago.

hp

--
_ | Peter J. Holzer | I think we need two definitions:
|_|_) | WSR - Softwaredevelopment | 1) The problem the *users* want us to solve
__/ | hjp@wsr.ac.at | -- Phillip Hallam-Baker on spam