I have one problem though, and that is that I have a transit provider that
announces some routes which are also announced via an MLPA peering. I wish
to send the traffic via the peering link, instead over the transit link.

Can someone very quickly explain to me which keywords I should set where ?

I have tried weight, set metric and set local-preference, but unfortunately
to no avail.

Thanks !

Taco
Re: Help needed with configuring bgpd [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Taco Scargo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have several peers configured which all work fine.
> I have one problem though, and that is that I have a transit provider that
> announces some routes which are also announced via an MLPA peering. I wish
> to send the traffic via the peering link, instead over the transit link.
>
> Can someone very quickly explain to me which keywords I should set where ?
>
> I have tried weight, set metric and set local-preference, but unfortunately
> to no avail.

i think you need 'set ip next-hop'.

> Thanks !

> Taco

regards,
--
Paul Jakma paul@clubi.ie paul@jakma.org Key ID: 64A2FF6A
warning: do not ever send email to spam@dishone.st
Re: Help needed with configuring bgpd [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 03:37:58AM +0200,
Taco Scargo <taco@scargo.nl> wrote
a message of 21 lines which said:

> I have one problem though, and that is that I have a transit provider that
> announces some routes which are also announced via an MLPA peering. I wish
> to send the traffic via the peering link, instead over the transit link.
>
> Can someone very quickly explain to me which keywords I should set where ?
>
> I have tried weight, set metric and set local-preference, but unfortunately
> to no avail.

Local preference seems the best way, this is the one we use. Can you
provide details on your configuration?

! FreeIX peering is free, use it instead of transit
route-map freeix-in permit 10
set local-preference 1000
! A peer
neighbor 213.228.3.227 remote-as 8975
neighbor 213.228.3.227 description Claranet
neighbor 213.228.3.227 route-map freeix-in in
Re: Help needed with configuring bgpd [ In reply to ]
Hello Stephane,

Thanks for your response.

> Local preference seems the best way, this is the one we use. Can you
> provide details on your configuration?

I have tried local preference (which seemed the way to go), but no effect.

Here is part of the config I tried:

router bgp <my asn>
bgp router-id <my routers ip>
network <my network>/24
neighbor external-peers peer-group
neighbor external-peers prefix-list peer-in in
neighbor external-peers prefix-list announce-out out
neighbor external-peers route-map peering-in in
neighbor external-peers route-map peering-out out
neighbor external-peers filter-list 1 out
neighbor <ip of peer 1> remote-as <asn peer 1>
neighbor <ip of peer 1> peer-group external-peers
neighbor <ip of peer 2> remote-as <asn peer 2>
neighbor <ip of peer 2> peer-group external-peers
neighbor <ip of peer 3> remote-as <asn peer 3>
neighbor <ip of peer 3> peer-group external-peers
neighbor <ip of peer 4> remote-as <asn peer 4>
neighbor <ip of peer 4> peer-group external-peers
neighbor <ip of transit 1> remote-as <asn transit 1>
neighbor <ip of transit 1> prefix-list transit-in in
neighbor <ip of transit 1> prefix-list announce-out out
neighbor <ip of transit 1> route-map transit-in in
neighbor <ip of transit 1> route-map transit-out out
neighbor <ip of transit 1> filter-list 1 out
neighbor <ip of transit 2> remote-as <asn transit 2>
neighbor <ip of transit 2> prefix-list transit-in in
neighbor <ip of transit 2> prefix-list announce-out out
neighbor <ip of transit 2> route-map transit-in in
neighbor <ip of transit 2> route-map transit-out out
neighbor <ip of transit 2> filter-list 1 out
!
access-list localhost permit 127.0.0.1/32
!
ip prefix-list announce-out seq 5 permit <my network>/24
ip prefix-list announce-out seq 10 deny any
ip prefix-list peer-in seq 5 deny <my network>/23 ge 24
ip prefix-list peer-in seq 10 deny 192.168.0.0/15 ge 16
ip prefix-list peer-in seq 15 deny 172.16.0.0/11 ge 12
ip prefix-list peer-in seq 20 deny 10.0.0.0/7 ge 8
ip prefix-list peer-in seq 25 deny 127.0.0.0/7 ge 8
ip prefix-list peer-in seq 30 deny 0.0.0.0/0
ip prefix-list peer-in seq 35 permit any
ip prefix-list transit-in seq 5 deny <my network>/23 ge 24
ip prefix-list transit-in seq 10 deny 192.168.0.0/15 ge 16
ip prefix-list transit-in seq 15 deny 172.16.0.0/11 ge 12
ip prefix-list transit-in seq 20 deny 10.0.0.0/7 ge 8
ip prefix-list transit-in seq 25 deny 127.0.0.0/7 ge 8
ip prefix-list transit-in seq 30 deny 0.0.0.0/0
ip prefix-list transit-in seq 35 permit any
!
ip as-path access-list 1 permit ^$
!
route-map peering-out permit 10
set local-preference 1000
!
route-map peering-in permit 10
set local-preference 1000
!
route-map transit-out permit 10
set local-preference 500
!
route-map transit-in permit 10
set local-preference 500
!
line vty
access-class localhost
!

Thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated.

Taco
Re: Help needed with configuring bgpd [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:55:50AM +0200,
a message of 81 lines which said:

> I have tried local preference (which seemed the way to go), but no effect.

What is the output of "show ip bgp <network>" where <network> is
announced by one of the peers at the exchange point? (Use "show ip bgp
neighbours <neighbour IP address> received-routes" to find out the
routes it announces.)

> Here is part of the config I tried:

Seems OK but I never used peer groups.
Re: Help needed with configuring bgpd [ In reply to ]
Hi Stephane,

Thanks for the assistance. I finally figured out that local-preference does
work, but I got a more specific route via the transit link. I will contact
the isp to ask why they announce a more specific via their transit link, and
not via the peering link.