Mailing List Archive

Feature Request: ip aliasing
Hello All!

I am using zebra for years and asked myself always why I cannot "alias"
an IP. I always have to config like this:

sh ip bg IP.NUM.OF.PEER

With growing number of peers I cannot remember the IPs by hard.

I cannot imagine that there is no way to create some kind of "alias" or
"peer name", but couldn't find a solution to my problem.

I imagine it like this:

configure terminal
router bgp 64001
neigbor 192.0.0.1 alias peer-to-some-isp

OR that

configute terminal
alias IP.NUM.B.ER peer-to-some-isp

and THEN

sh ip bg peer-to-some-isp

If this not an ip -> quagga "resolves" the name to IP itself.

A "reverse resolving" would be nice too, but the forward way would save
me much time by typeing "sh ip bg su" to get the neigbors ip.

Rgds,
j.
Re: Feature Request: ip aliasing [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 12:01:11AM +0200, Andreas John wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I am using zebra for years and asked myself always why I cannot "alias"
> an IP. I always have to config like this:
>
> sh ip bg IP.NUM.OF.PEER

Why not just implementing command aliasing? i.e.

alias regio show ip bgp neighbor x.x.x.x

Where we are here. What about command pipelining? i.e.

show runn | incl remote-as

Arnold
Re: Feature Request: ip aliasing [ In reply to ]
* Andreas John <aj@net-lab.net> wrote:

[ip alias]
> A "reverse resolving" would be nice too, but the forward way would
> save me much time by typeing "sh ip bg su" to get the neigbors ip.

You can add a description to your neighbors and can look for the
corresponding ip by doing a "sh ip bgp neigh", but maybe we could use
this description as king of a filter for sh ip bgp.. (sh ip bgp neigh
$description rec)
Re: Feature Request: ip aliasing [ In reply to ]
Arnold,

besides that fact that it's usual to mask config details on mailing
lists, it's rather inpolite to assume me to need an alias called
"regio". We all know that you are "master of de-cix" and you will
obviously have the most peers of us all, I would even for my small BGP
Setup (of about 10 peers) prefer to use an IP alias in many situations
on quagga-shell, e.g. for "no neighbor myfriend shutdown" or "neighbor
mycompetitor shutdown". It don't like to loopup their IPs by exiting
configure mode, "sh ru" and entering configure mode again. (Of course
the "two shell approach" is a solution, but logging in and enabling
always to times (or more) consumes also some time.

Command pipelinging would be also a nice to have, especially for grep.
It would also be a comfortable thing to have a "sh ru" in configure mode
(and grep there too), as well as a tab-completion for IPs and aliases.

Best Regards,
Andreas

Re: Feature Request: ip aliasing [ In reply to ]
Hello Sebastian,
a description is in my case often too long to be a practical approch.

e.g.
neigh xxxxx description 1ST-peering-session-to-peer-x
neigh xxxxx description 2ND-peering-session-to-peer-x

Due to the fact that only commands are tab-completed the use of
descriptions as aliases is unconvenient. Description should be
descriptive, alias should be short.

ACK or NACK :-) ?

Best regards,
j.

Sebastian Abt wrote:

[...]

Re: Feature Request: ip aliasing [ In reply to ]
Hello Arnold,

I apologize for being maybe too harsh on you in public.
I should have kept my answer on a technical level.

More to that via pm.

Beste Regards,
Andreas